Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC subjects 6 vs 7?

Options
  • 06-09-2016 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey guys I'm just looking for a bit of poll data and maybe some advice on leaving cert subjects, I'm currently doing 7 at honours and was thinking of giving one up (one which I'm not particularly good at and takes a lot of time). I'm just wondering is it really worth keeping up 7 given you only count 6? I've heard the argument that you should keep it as a backup in case one of your others goes badly but I see no way the others could possibly go worse than the one I'd give up, especially since I can dedicate the time id spend on it to my other subjects. Thoughts, opinions and experiences are welcome and appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Jimbob994 wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm just looking for a bit of poll data and maybe some advice on leaving cert subjects, I'm currently doing 7 at honours and was thinking of giving one up (one which I'm not particularly good at and takes a lot of time). I'm just wondering is it really worth keeping up 7 given you only count 6? I've heard the argument that you should keep it as a backup in case one of your others goes badly but I see no way the others could possibly go worse than the one I'd give up, especially since I can dedicate the time id spend on it to my other subjects. Thoughts, opinions and experiences are welcome and appreciated thanks!

I'd definitely keep a back-up! It can happen so easily that a paper won't go your way on the day and suddenly you've missed out on the grade you were hoping for and the points you need!

Is it a core subject that you're struggling with? If not, would you swap it for something else that you might like better?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rather than give it up completely, could you do it at OL, so you have some chance of points in it, should there be a disaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Drop to pass. If you're not going to be counting the subject for points then there's not much point doing it at HL, unless it's a specific subject requirement for a course you're looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NiamhMcH

Keep it, you could drop down to ordinary level if you're finding it to be very difficult and time consuming. You may as well just keep it up, just in case! You never what could happen with one of your subjects! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You may find that the school is resistant to you having a blank / untimetabled slot several times a week if you try to drop it altogether anyway. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Jimbob994

You may find that the school is resistant to you having a blank / untimetabled slot several times a week if you try to drop it altogether anyway. ;)

I know I'm allowed drop it but thanks :)
    NiamhMcH wrote: »
    Keep it, you could drop down to ordinary level if you're finding it to be very difficult and time consuming. You may as well just keep it up, just in case! You never what could happen with one of your subjects! :)

It's French and the only reason I don't want to drop to pass is then I'm spending 6 classes a week studying a subject that isn't going to count for my LC and I hate, is it really worth keeping it up for the reason of just in case?
    Drop to pass. If you're not going to be counting the subject for points then there's not much point doing it at HL, unless it's a specific subject requirement for a course you're looking at.

It's French and the only reason I don't want to drop to pass is then I'm still spending 6 classes a week studying a subject that isn't going to count for my LC and I hate, is it really worth keeping it up for the reason of just in case?
    spurious wrote: »
    Rather than give it up completely, could you do it at OL, so you have some chance of points in it, should there be a disaster?

That was my first though but it's still spending a lot of time per week on it for the reason of "just in case something bad happens" is it really worth taking that time away from my other subjects?
    Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I'd definitely keep a back-up! It can happen so easily that a paper won't go your way on the day and suddenly you've missed out on the grade you were hoping for and the points you need!

Is it a core subject that you're struggling with? If not, would you swap it for something else that you might like better?

Thanks, it's French by the way I was just trying to avoid people saying you'll need it for course requirements (which I won't) also swapping it isn't really an option at this stage given I'm in 6th year taking up another subject would take too much time. I know you say to keep it on Incase something bad happens but to be honest I don't see anything going worse than French where I'm getting in and around 65% on average in tests. Also my other subjects would even go up if I gave it up due to the extra study classes and time I'd have per week. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Jimbob994 wrote: »
    Thanks, it's French by the way I was just trying to avoid people saying you'll need it for course requirements (which I won't) also swapping it isn't really an option at this stage given I'm in 6th year taking up another subject would take too much time. I know you say to keep it on Incase something bad happens but to be honest I don't see anything going worse than French where I'm getting in and around 65% on average in tests. Also my other subjects would even go up if I gave it up due to the extra study classes and time I'd have per week. Thoughts?
    65% isn't a bad grade though. That's a H4 and worth 66 points. Surely with a bit of work and dedication you could bring it up? I know you don't need it for college requirements but it'd still be handy to have a seventh subject. French isn't really that bad of a subject. If you put in a good bit of effort into your Oral and do plenty of practice Aurals and Reading Comps, you'll be sure of a good grade. After that the written pieces just need a little work. It really is a subject where continued effort and practice will pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jimbob994

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    65% isn't a bad grade though. That's a H4 and worth 66 points. Surely with a bit of work and dedication you could bring it up? I know you don't need it for college requirements but it'd still be handy to have a seventh subject. French isn't really that bad of a subject. If you put in a good bit of effort into your Oral and do plenty of practice Aurals and Reading Comps, you'll be sure of a good grade. After that the written pieces just need a little work. It really is a subject where continued effort and practice will pay off.

Still I'd be hoping for more than a h4 I'm all my other subjects, the main reasons I want to give it up are simply because it takes too much time I really don't have and because I hate it and my teacher, I leave the room fuming each day (that may be the fault of my lack of patience but regardless) even if with work, which I don't really have the time for I don't think it would beat my mark in my other subjects especially if I was giving them the time instead of French. If nothing else I think it would take some of the pressure off me and make my year more bearable? Is it worth it purely for the mental health reasons? 😂😂

Advertisement