Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worried physics student

Options
  • 06-09-2016 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am about to go into second year science (maths, physics, chem) and if I complete the degree I will come out with a degree in either physics or chemistry. I enjoy the subjects (sometimes) but have become extremely anxious about job prospects afterwards. I entered the course because 1. I became more and more drawn to studying chem and physics as my leaving cert approached over my other subjects. 2. Hearing so many talks and advice of the abundance of jobs and opportunities available to science graduates. 3. Physics seemed to be a degree which was advertised as extremely broad, and my indecisiveness made me think a broad degree would be best suited to me.
    Now however, I am starting to believe this 'broad qualification' is more saying that those who don't make the cut for a PHD in physics have trouble finding work in their field, and are employed in other sectors 'despite' of their physics degree, rather than thanks to it. That, to work in industry, I would have been better off doing engineering.
    My question is, should I drop out, reapply to engineering, or is a masters in engineering (probably electrical) open to physics grads and how long does it take, what are the job prospects like afterwards?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

I am about to go into second year science (maths, physics, chem) and if I complete the degree I will come out with a degree in either physics or chemistry. I enjoy the subjects (sometimes) but have become extremely anxious about job prospects afterwards. I entered the course because 1. I became more and more drawn to studying chem and physics as my leaving cert approached over my other subjects. 2. Hearing so many talks and advice of the abundance of jobs and opportunities available to science graduates. 3. Physics seemed to be a degree which was advertised as extremely broad, and my indecisiveness made me think a broad degree would be best suited to me.
    Now however, I am starting to believe this 'broad qualification' is more saying that those who don't make the cut for a PHD in physics have trouble finding work in their field, and are employed in other sectors 'despite' of their physics degree, rather than thanks to it. That, to work in industry, I would have been better off doing engineering.
    My question is, should I drop out, reapply to engineering, or is a masters in engineering (probably electrical) open to physics grads and how long does it take, what are the job prospects like afterwards?
    Take it from someone who graduated with a masters two years ago the holy grail in education after leaving college the whole thing is a massive disappointment 90 per cent of people hate their jobs. Doing something because there is jobs in it is stupid its what most parents say to their children do x because there is jobs in worst advice ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TCD Careers Advisory Service

Hi Cowshaped

Contact the Careers Advisory Service and make an appointment to see your Careers Consultant (details at www . tcd . ie / Careers / contact / contact _ us _ students . php) to talk over your concerns.

(sorry haven't posted enough to make a decent link! :) )

Advertisement