Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

career advice

Options
  • 06-09-2016 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am about to go into second year science (maths, physics, chem) and if I complete the degree I will come out with a degree in either physics or chemistry. I enjoy the subjects (sometimes) but have become extremely anxious about job prospects afterwards. I entered the course because 1. I became more and more drawn to studying chem and physics as my leaving cert approached over my other subjects. 2. Hearing so many talks and advice of the abundance of jobs and opportunities available to science graduates. 3. Physics seemed to be a degree which was advertised as extremely broad, and my indecisiveness made me think a broad degree would be best suited to me.
    Now however, I am starting to believe this 'broad qualification' is more saying that those who don't make the cut for a PHD in physics have trouble finding work in their field, and are employed in other sectors 'despite' of their physics degree, rather than thanks to it. That, to work in industry I would have been better off doing engineering.
    My question is, should I drop out, reapply to engineering, or is a masters in engineering (probably electrical) open to physics grads and how long does it take, what are the job prospects like afterwards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I am an engineer, so I I have no bias here when I say a physics degree is held in good regard; chemistry too. Maths is more eccentric, but a good maths degree is certainly employable. I know engineering students are in high demand at the moment, and I expect the same is true of other STEM subjects. Your college should have a careers office, who can advise you further. Some academics are more clued in to industry and grad prospects than others - a five minute conversation with your head of department (they're usually more clued into this stuff than average) may help with your concerns.

If you get a 2.8 GPA or higher (this figure may vary from place to place) in a physics degree can apply to do a 1 or 2 year taught masters in electrical, mechanical or biomedical engineering. Similarly, a chemistry degree would be fine for applying to a masters in chemical engineering. So those routes are available to you on graduation. I've known applied maths guys who did electronics afterwards. That route's more challenging; maybe talk to an admissions officer there.

What you study matters, but less than you think. Most grads use relatively little of the knowledge from their degrees. Employers mostly care if you have directly relevant experience (which matters more in your second job), or demonstrate raw talent, an ability to get stuff done, and you don't seem crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cowshaped789

mikhail wrote: »
    I am an engineer, so I I have no bias here when I say a physics degree is held in good regard; chemistry too. Maths is more eccentric, but a good maths degree is certainly employable. I know engineering students are in high demand at the moment, and I expect the same is true of other STEM subjects. Your college should have a careers office, who can advise you further. Some academics are more clued in to industry and grad prospects than others - a five minute conversation with your head of department (they're usually more clued into this stuff than average) may help with your concerns.

If you get a 2.8 GPA or higher (this figure may vary from place to place) in a physics degree can apply to do a 1 or 2 year taught masters in electrical, mechanical or biomedical engineering. Similarly, a chemistry degree would be fine for applying to a masters in chemical engineering. So those routes are available to you on graduation. I've known applied maths guys who did electronics afterwards. That route's more challenging; maybe talk to an admissions officer there.

What you study matters, but less than you think. Most grads use relatively little of the knowledge from their degrees. Employers mostly care if you have directly relevant experience (which matters more in your second job), or demonstrate raw talent, an ability to get stuff done, and you don't seem crazy.

Thank you very much, that's a relief to hear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ask the course secretary or head do they have details on what previous graduates went on to do after they graduated.

Advertisement