Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop won't turn on with charger plugged in

Options
  • 05-09-2016 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

My laptop won't turn on properly, the battery has gone dead with a long time but it has continued to work with the charger plugged in. Today I tried to turn it on same as normal and the power lights flicker briefly before going dead altogether. Doubt it's a problem with the charger as the light remains on all the time on the charger itself. Anyone know what it might be or how much it may cost to get fixed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    My laptop won't turn on properly, the battery has gone dead with a long time but it has continued to work with the charger plugged in. Today I tried to turn it on same as normal and the power lights flicker briefly before going dead altogether. Doubt it's a problem with the charger as the light remains on all the time on the charger itself. Anyone know what it might be or how much it may cost to get fixed

Could be that the power socket is damaged. Is the charging LED on the laptop lit up?

When a laptop is plugged in all the time, there is a lot of stress on the solders that hold on the charging unit to the motherboard and they will eventually wear out.

It might be possible to get it repaired by re-soldering the connectors and that would be cheap to repair. But this is just my opinion based on v little info.

If the charger LED is on, but there are no indicator LEDs on the laptop lit up, then it's probably either the charger lead, or the power socket on the laptop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the battery is dead then try removing the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Try this :
    By performing the following steps, you effectively drain your laptop of any electricity and start over, which can result in it powering up.

Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the battery. Hold down the power button for at least fifteen seconds. Without replacing the battery, plug the AC adapter back into the laptop.

Advertisement