Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Olympic Equestrian Performance

Options
  • 05-09-2016 8:08pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I was unexpectedly AFK for a while so didn't get to post anything during the Olympics, so apologies for that. However, now that we're post Olympics and there's bee a little bit of time for everything to sink in, I said I'd post and see how people think Irish riders did in the 2016 Rio Olympics.

For those who don't know (or remember!) how our equestrian athletes did, I'm posting the results below:

Show Jumping:

Greg Broderick:
    Round 1: 8 faults (jt 53rd)
    Round 2: 5 faults (jt 39th)
    Finished joint 50th with only the top 45 riders going into the third round

Dressage:

Judy Reynolds:
    18th overall
    Achieved a PB score of 75.696
    Also the first Irish female rider to reach the dressage final

Eventing:

Clare Abbott
    Jonty Evans
    Mark Kyle
    Padraig McCarthy
    8th overall in the team competition

Individual competition:
    Evans - 9th
    Kyle - 33rd
    Abbott - 37th
    McCarthy - unfortunate fall in the cross country when lying in 26th position overall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Failure to qualify a SJ team was an absolute disgrace given the depth of talent and horse power we have at the moment - caused IMO by Splaine putting his focus on the Aga Khan just before the crucial Aachen last chance qualifier last summer. This was a gold medal chance passed up.

Broderick did a lot of talking but I wouldn't be surprised if he looses the ride on the horse now. I do think his selection as the Irish based rider on the ISH was political also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

In fairness the SJ team were in very hard luck not to qualify at both the World Championships and in Aachen. Greg Broderick was also in hard luck with the foot in the water jump on the Tuesday , he probably would have qualified for the Final only for it, and he would have had a good chance in that starting on 0 faults if he had got into it.
    I was there at it in Rio. Was sure he had a clear round as we had a good view of the water jump and the steward didn't immediately raise the flag. It's a fine line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

To say not Qualifying was a disgrace is wrong it was unlucky.
    To blame it on the Aga Khan being priority is also incorrect. The Super League is the priority.We needed points in Dublin. By being in the Super League we also get to put teams in the lower level NCups giving out younger riders /Horses valuable experience
    Only Bertram and Dennis get direct entry to the Masters and Global Champions Tour on their Rankings so for the rest being on the NC team gives them access to more than invites to the 5★Show invites they may get.
    Cian has been the biggest beneficiary of the ranking points gained in Nation Cups in the last 12 months. He has broken into the Top 50 which will mean more invites to Masters and GCT shows. It will be interesting to see will he but NC shows as top priority now as opportunities to jump for Huge Prize funds come more often
    Taking Bertram as an example 12 months ago he depended on 20 yld Romanov as Molly's back up now he has Hector.Denis now has also got Abbervail to back up All Star.
    We are actually alot stronger now than 12 months ago. And we still depend on Non-Irish Owners. Lets be honest. If you were an owner do you want your Horse jumping at World Cup/GTC/Masters shows or save him for Nations Cup Teams for a foreign Country on the possibility he may make the Olympics.

Re the Eventers. We probably lived up to our Ranking. A top 10 individual should be celebrated . Until our Dressage goes up another level we will be where we are. Even last weekend Joseph Murphy's top 20 in Burghley was down to good xcountry and Showjumping . The winner had 4 fences inhand on 2nd place.

Judy did a fantastic job and the general opinion is she was marked on who she was rather than her test.

From Irish Field

HORSE Sport Ireland show jumping team manager Robert Splaine has announced the squad that will represent Ireland in the Nations Cup world final at Barcelona in Spain, which begins next Thursday, September 22nd.

The final takes place at the Real Club de Polo in Barcelona which was the venue for Equestrian events at the 1992 Olympic Games. Splaine will name his four team members from the five riders listed below next Wednesday.

The Irish squad in alphabetical order is:

Shane Breen with Golden Hawk (Owned by P. Sultan and Breen Equestrian)
    Greg Broderick with MHS Going Global (ISH) (Owned by Lee Kruger and Greg Broderick)
    Anthony Condon with Aristio (Owned by John Hales and Anthony Condon)
    Darragh Kenny with Go Easy De Muze (Owned by Jos Lansink and F.H. Schuttert)
    Denis Lynch with All Star (Owned by Thomas Straumann and Denis Lynch)

So no Bertram and no CO'C. Would that indicate a post Rio row between those 2 and management?

Darragh Kenny's horse looks a real top prospect, hopefully he will be one of the 4.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Wow, that's surprising. I've not been able to follow the Irish show jumpers' performance as much as I'd like to have done this summer. How have Bertram and Cian been doing? And how do their performances compare to the 5 listed? I know it's always nice to see 'new' names being selected, but I'm just curious how they compare to Bertram and Cian? Are they "between horses" at the moment, just 'bringing on' ones who will be top of their game next year or, as you suggest, is there more at play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

Cian is in america right now, so no point in flying one horse back for that

mothoin wrote: »
    Cian is in america right now, so no point in flying one horse back for that

Yes, and why is he in America instead of at the Nations Cup World Final. What else could it be except a rider/owner strop with Splaine over missing Rio?

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Yes, and why is he in America instead of at the Nations Cup World Final. What else could it be except a rider/owner strop with Splaine over missing Rio?
    Better for his business interest's. Plenty $s to be made .

finbarrk wrote: »
    Better for his business interest's. Plenty $s to be made .

Scott Brash, Nick Skelton, Steve Guerdat, the entire French Olympic team etc wouldnt agree with that.

Results show the 5 lads justified their places.
    The 5th in the Nc was actually on combined time v Italy for 4th on a discard score of 5.
    Darragh was clear
    Denis had a time fault
    Greg had 4. Very unlucky last fence.( A superb clear had got us thru to 2nd day)
    Shane had 8.

Darragh , Greg and Shane jumped class rounds in the GPrix jump off. To be 1st,2nd and 4th is a special result.
    Debis and Anthony again had unlucky 4s in first round.

Judy winning both Grand Prix and Freestyle in New York W Cup augers well for the World Cup qualifer shows coming up.

Convert maybe you could edit the title of the thread to drop the Olympic as it good to have a thread on Internalional Results.

• Advertisement

Esroh wrote: »
    Results show the 5 lads justified their places.
    The 5th in the Nc was actually on combined time v Italy for 4th on a discard score of 5.
    Darragh was clear
    Denis had a time fault
    Greg had 4. Very unlucky last fence.( A superb clear had got us thru to 2nd day)
    Shane had 8.

Darragh , Greg and Shane jumped class rounds in the GPrix jump off. To be 1st,2nd and 4th is a special result.
    Debis and Anthony again had unlucky 4s in first round.

Absolutely and as noted above I feel this Go Easy De Muze could go to the very top. I see his season will be geared towards the European Champs which should be great for Irish teams also.

There is no doubt that these 5 did brilliantly but not sure to what extent theirs were selections to be "justified" in the sense that as far as I can tell there hasn't been any or much comments about Cian O'Connor/ Bertram being absent.

Basically, I am just wondering whether they ruled themselves out of Barcelona (and if so why) or were they de-selected - have you a view on that?

Absolutely and as noted above I feel this Go Easy De Muze could go to the very top. I see his season will be geared towards the European Champs which should be great for Irish teams also.

There is no doubt that these 5 did brilliantly but not sure to what extent theirs were selections to be "justified" in the sense that as far as I can tell there hasn't been any or much comments about Cian O'Connor/ Bertram being absent.

Basically, I am just wondering whether they ruled themselves out of Barcelona (and if so why) or were they de-selected - have you a view on that?

If Good Lucks Canadian owner wanted him in Calgary and it ment ruling himself out then so be it. As I said in an earlier post his team appearences have helped his rankings as in general he has been a 1 horse man, Independent and Blue prior to Good luck. Now that the invites for being Top 50 start arriving he may have to pick and choose.
    As for Bertram Molly has not been sparkling and maybe Hector wasn't ready for 5 days of 5star jumping . Dublin was his 1st 5 star and he is a very sensitive horse.I would thing maybe he opted out as well.
    The Longines California Show in Sacramento may be on both their lists next week..
    Shane, Darragh and Anthony have shown it should nolonger be a surprise if Bertram or Cian are missing and not taken s possible trouble in the camp.

Greg really redeemed himself with the super performance in Barcelona. Thursdays famous round is here on Noelle Floyds website.
    http://www.noellefloyd.com/ride-of-the-day-greg-broderick-going-global-nations-cup-final/

Latest FEI Rankings. We have 6 in the top 50. Bertram the highest at 16.
    https://data.fei.org/Ranking/Search.aspx?rankingCode=S_WR

Failure to qualify a SJ team was an absolute disgrace given the depth of talent and horse power we have at the moment - caused IMO by Splaine putting his focus on the Aga Khan just before the crucial Aachen last chance qualifier last summer. This was a gold medal chance passed up.

Broderick did a lot of talking but I wouldn't be surprised if he looses the ride on the horse now. I do think his selection as the Irish based rider on the ISH was political also.

News of the sale not a surprise. Very mysterious ownership picture also. I realise GB is listed as co-owner and that this was one of the conditions of the Olympic selection but from memory, pre 2016 Lee Kruger was always one name checked as being such a good owner, to keep the horse in the country etc.

From the Examiner pre Rio:

Horse Sport Ireland (HSI) has not deviated from its assertion that MHS Going Global is eligible for the Olympics, and it is hopeful that it has “clarified” a query from the Federation Equestre Internationale (FEI) regarding the ownership of the horse ridden by Greg Broderick.

The Tipperary rider and the gelding were the surprise choice of Ireland manager Robert Splaine to fill Ireland’s sole show jumping slot in the Olympics, but in the days leading up to the publication last Tuesday of the nominated entries by the FEI, speculation arose as to whether the gelding satisfied the rule that the owner must be “of the same nationality” as the rider.

Until recently, Canadian Lee Kruger of Caledonia Stables was spoken of as the owner, but she is now reportedly saying Broderick owns 10% of the horse, while the Tipperary rider is also now maintaining he is a part-owner.

Meanwhile, this week, the publication Horse Canada said that in an interview Lee Kruger had “confirmed that she does not have an Irish-based company”. It maintained, however, “that according to her records Broderick owns 10% of all her horses, including MHS Going Global, but she was not certain whether that ownership was registered with the FEI”.

Advertisement