Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC sraithpictuir question

Options
  • 05-09-2016 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey guys I'm just here to ask a quick question about the Irish oral exam specifically the sraith pictiur. I'm just wondering as to the standard of Irish required for full marks as my teacher seems to change her opinion every second day, for one of the pictiurí for example she would give paragraphs filled with impossibly abstract words you know she's only just pulled out of the dictionary herself and the next hand you something which looks as though it was written by a three year old ( repeating the same dull phrases: ar fheabhas/go maith/bhí athas orm etc). My question is what is the actual standard that is ideal? Any help/examples would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

This is the exact same with us and I always struggle to complete the sraiths as I'm trying to make it too complicated or fancy in my head!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Simple things well, rather than complicated things badly.

It's about communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gaelgeoir123

what theyre looking for is your ability to converse naturally, and have flow in your answers. They want to see that you understand what theyre saying but also that you can answer them with sensible Irish. Don't get too hung up on having perfect grammar, just try and let it flow like it would usually in conversation . Thats all it is, a conversation.
    Best way to get marks:
    - Use plenty of nathanna cainte, learn a few generic ones (is de réir a chéile a thógtar caisleáin, is maith an scéalaí an aimsir...)
    - Avoid one word answers like 'sea, ní hea
    - Answer a question asked with a verb, with the right verb e.g an bfhuil caitheamh aimsire agat.... tá/níl)
    - Be prepared but dont learn conversational pieces off by heart, they see right through that and know that anyone can learn something off by heart, the real test is being able to carry a conversation with flow and fluency.
    Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 2016oide

Dia Dhuit, a very high standard of conversational Irish is what is required. Complex abstract words aren't necessary but a fluent handling of verbs & grammar with good vocab is. The most important requirement is good, effective communication. On average 4 or more sentences on each pic, with feelings expressed, the odd senfhocal (but don't overdo)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jimbob994

Thanks for all the help guys i have decent enough conversational Irish anyway as I went to an Irish speaking primary school so all things going to plan I should be okay 😊😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

Decent vocabulary and correct use of verbs is imperative. Much better to have a few correct sentences than loads with many errors or made up words etc. It isn't that hard to get a high mark if you're consistent and plough through it with some level of confidence. Have examined them for 9 years and I always feel it's obvious the students who have done lots of practice. Best of luck.

Advertisement