Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard not Supporting 16gb RAM

Options
  • 05-09-2016 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I have been running this current system for the last 6 months or so

i5 4690k
    16gb HP RAM at 1600mhz (2 x 8GB)
    Gigabyte gtx 970
    Cronus 550w Semi Modular PSU
    Intel z-97p
    Toshiba 500gb HDD

Over the summer it has not been in much use but I got a nasty suprise when I booted it up for the first time. It was stuck in a post loop after some investigating I found it was the RAM and so swapped it out with an old 8gb kit. The 16gb kit that was in it works fine on another PC and I recently bought a new 16gb kit and that too does not work with the system. I am also sure it is not a power supply issue as it still would not boot with the GPU removed. When I start it the fans spin for a second or so then the system shuts down and restarts never getting to the post screen. Any idea what the cause of this could be? (I updated the bios hoping that would fix it to no avail)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Could you be more specific on which motherboard you have as intel z-97p is not much to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nice expensive components and you subject them to an off brand PSU? Braver man than some.

Advertisement