Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to find My Casey's

Options
  • 05-09-2016 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi Everyone,i have been trying to find my Grandfather for years and years or any of his family.i can not find a birth or death for him anywhere?? born Abt 1929.his name is James Peter Terence Casey.His father was John Bernard Casey who was a Coal Miner..i dont know what country either of them were born in But i know James Casey married my Grandmother in St.Pancras london in 1955,and remarried in lancashire in 1969.so i started in the UK and sent for james casey births with details provided.they came back with nothing,they said there was no james P T Casey born in england or wales between 1927-1930 apart from scotland possibly as they hold their own records? so than i started in ireland and so far nothing unless possibly Northern Ireland..i see their is 1 result on roots ireland for a john bernard casey but i dont subscribe to that website although i have trawled ancestry and fmp..does anyone know was anyone coal mining in ireland between 1955-1969..i just keep hitting brick wall after brick wall :-( any help or suggestions would be readily welcomed please & Thank You :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

There were coal mines at Arigna, Co.Leitrim in the 1950s and and at Castlecomer, Co.Kilkenny. Sorry can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gloraghgirl

Thank you I will look into this :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Right, first things first: do you have your grandfather's two marriage certificates? If not, get them. You just want to be sure that there's no different information on the father, and check if the witnesses are related. If they have the same surname, there's a good chance of a connection and it's one more person to look for. I'm not sure if/when they began adding mothers' names to UK marriage certs, but we did it in the 1960s, so there's a possibility of the mother's name being on the second marriage.

Second: have you looked at the 1939 Register on Findmypast? Your grandfather should be on that.

Third: 1927-1930 is too narrow a timeframe. I'd expand that out by 2 years on either side to be sure. Have you looked at the freebmd indexes? Also, Ancestry has probate calendars up to the mid-1960s - if he made a will, he might be listed there.

While Casey is an Irish name, you don't have enough information to go on yet in the UK. The family could have come at any point in the 19th century to England, or the early 20th. Scotland does maintain separate registers (scotland'speople is the site) but try the above first.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hello Pinkypinky....Great Name :-) thanks for your help..yes i do have james casey's marriage certs and that is where all of this info came from.his name is also on my mum and uncles birth certs but has less info than the marriages...i based his dob going by his age on the 2 marriage certs and both add up perfectly that he was born 1929 but he could have fibbed? to add to the confusion on his 1955 cert it says father John Bernard Casey Coal miner....than in 1969 it says Bernard Casey Coal Miner (retired) so for years i didnt know whether he was john bernard or john as it looked like there was an ammendment made on the side which i couldnt read.. so i recently rang the st.pancras registrars office and she checked the actual entry and said john bernard 100% but this hasnt got me any further really :-( i have ordered quiet a few james casey birth and death certs from ireland and uk and none of them are mine..i have searched all of the 1939 register also..i did find a james casey born 1929 living with a john casey hewer but he was born 1877 and that came to a dead end also...i have been trying to get hold of electorals from prestong lancashire 1969 and have been told last week i need to go in person or get someone to do it there!! groan haha

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's not that he could have fibbed, more that he might be wrong. People were often unsure about their ages in the past. By the end of the 1920s, it's less common but you cannot discount the possibility, especially when you can't find him.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Yes your right.i have searched leaving out his year of birth in the whole world there isnt one birth or death for a james p t casey but on the plus side i have just today got a reply from the lancashire evening post and they are going to publish a public appeal letter for him or any information as he was last known to be in preston lancashire :-) im hopeful someone will know something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

There was a James P Casey (mother's maiden name Connolly) born 1925 Q2, in Chester le Street, 10a -1163.
    This reg district being in Co Durham, would likely have had some miners.

Terence might have been added later, perhaps as a confirmation name.

Thank you Tabbey..I think i have already followed that one up..what i tried to do is all the james casey births i found with a MMN i than matched the name to marriages and i dont think his dad was a john casey ..i trawled the new births-deaths-marriage on the irish site on sunday for a john bernard casey and after looking at 100's from 1888-1910 i found 1 in the whole of ireland and he was born in 1900 in Killeens cork parents Michael casey and Mary Lucey.. he was the only one so i spent all evening trying to rule in or out this family.i found 2 trees on ancestry with the some exact same family casey/lucey and sent messages ..i got a reply the next day saying sorry they dont know anything about that family line really so now im back to square one but am going to go back to it today :-) :-)

Advertisement