Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you buy in China ?

Options
  • 05-09-2016 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Found out my brother is in China this week, and was wondering if it would make sense he brings some stuff back for me. I was looking at some phones and am wondering , is there a significant difference in buying something in China as opposed to here price-wise ? Secondly, would some of the more recognised brands, like Huawei and Lenovo offer worldwide warranties ?

Anyone with experience in buying stuff in actual China and bringing it back ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Be careful, many OEMs produce a China model and a "rest of world" model. The former will be sold in stores there but will have very limited connectivity in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Thanks Ed.. Yeah was reading up on that, every source I could find tells me not buy phones in China.. Will leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Thanks Ed.. Yeah was reading up on that, every source I could find tells me not buy phones in China.. Will leave it.
    There are lots of great Chinese phones
    I have a ulefone Power or did you mean not buy from shops over there

smilerf wrote: »
    There are lots of great Chinese phones
    I have a ulefone Power or did you mean not buy from shops over there

Yeah- I meant to buy a phone from a physical shop when in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Axon 7 is a great phone and out of stock in Europe. You can check network compatibility here http://willmyphonework.net but would still need to be careful about Chinese ROMs and be prepared for the possibility of having to flash an international one if available. There's also the issue of warranty coverage. All in all might be better to steer clear plus your brother might not be happy to take the blame if things go t*ts up!

• Advertisement

digitaldr wrote: »
    Axon 7 is a great phone and out of stock in Europe. You can check network compatibility here http://willmyphonework.net but would still need to be careful about Chinese ROMs and be prepared for the possibility of having to flash an international one if available. There's also the issue of warranty coverage. All in all might be better to steer clear plus your brother might not be happy to take the blame if things go t*ts up!

Yup, you just mentioned all the things that I would value at at least €50 not to have to be bothered with :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Case in point I got a Lenovo K3 from China via aliexpress. I rooted it and removed most of the Chinese bloatware. It was grand for the first while but then started to get really slow, battery life went to sh*t and ads started to pop up randomly. When I got around to selling it I decided I had better flash a new ROM which improved things no end. Problem is it took a long time for decent ROMs to appear.

Advertisement