Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REPEAT LEAVING CERT NIGHTMARE

Options
  • 05-09-2016 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I want to go to my old school to repeat but they want me to pay the voluntary contribution before I get a place (250 euro), are they allowed to do this?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

as long as they are offering to give it back if you dont get a place then yeah why not.

although id remind them that voluntary contribution is very different to deposit for holding my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 chris241111

Yes I probably have a place but they want me to pay the money as some sort of voluntary contribution which isn't voluntary,
    As a repeat student do I have the same rights as other students? and not have to pay as this is a large amount of money for me.

what have the school said?

what have the school said?

They have said I can repeat if I pay the 'voluntary conribution'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Are the other sixth year students in the school expected to pay this money too or just you because you're repeating? I know in my old school we had a 'voluntary' contribution too but that was for every student to pay and it was €100 rather than €250.

• Advertisement

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Are the other sixth year students in the school expected to pay this money too or just you because you're repeating? I know in my old school we had a 'voluntary' contribution too but that was for every student to pay and it was €100 rather than €250.

yes everyone in every year has to pay, but as I had a medical card I never had to pay the full amount only 100 , but this year they want 250. can they do this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

yes everyone in every year has to pay, but as I had a medical card I never had to pay the full amount only 100 , but this year they want 250. can they do this?

Are you still on medical card now? If so then what is their justification for going from 100 to 250?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I suggest a word with the Principal or whoever is in charge of that end. Outline your difficulty, there should be leiniency for hardship cases.

speak to the school and explain the situation,
    if you still have a medical card then ask can you pay the €100
    try and explain your case,

playing devils advocate, are you sure they want you back?
    if you are repeating for a genuine reason fair enough but i know my school didnt allow anyone to repeat unless it was a genuine case (ie if you missed med by 10 points you weren't allowed repeat but if you were sick etc you were)

speak to the school and explain the situation,
    if you still have a medical card then ask can you pay the €100
    try and explain your case,

playing devils advocate, are you sure they want you back?
    if you are repeating for a genuine reason fair enough but i know my school didnt allow anyone to repeat unless it was a genuine case (ie if you missed med by 10 points you weren't allowed repeat but if you were sick etc you were)

I got both HEAR and DARE last year showing I am disadvantaged, I also got diagnosed with kidney problems so was sick last year, do you think that is a good enough reason?

• Advertisement

I got both HEAR and DARE last year showing I am disadvantaged, I also got diagnosed with kidney problems so was sick last year, do you think that is a good enough reason?

sorry youve misunderstood, maybe i wasn't clear, sorry im not trying to insult you. i'm not saying you dont deserve to repeat or that it wasnt a genuine reason.

I'm sorry you had a tough time. HEAR is a great initiative.

like i said maybe speak to the school, ask to speak to the principal. maybe they can waive the fee for you.

i made the point about my school because they didnt let you repeat unless you have a reason like illness or a bereavement. some schools are like that. it was just an example.

speak to the school and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just explain your situation,
    You could try and haggle a payment plan! €2 a week!

Have a look and see if there is anything documents on the school website about repeats. Maybe it's not voluntary, it might be an admin charge.

In fairness though, the school has fulfilled their obligation to offer you a full education. I dunno if you would have a case against them for refusing to enrol you again. I know some schools point blank refuse refuse repeats.

sorry youve misunderstood, maybe i wasn't clear, sorry im not trying to insult you. i'm not saying you dont deserve to repeat or that it wasnt a genuine reason.

I'm sorry you had a tough time. HEAR is a great initiative.

like i said maybe speak to the school, ask to speak to the principal. maybe they can waive the fee for you.

i made the point about my school because they didnt let you repeat unless you have a reason like illness or a bereavement. some schools are like that. it was just an example.

speak to the school and see what they say.

I just read over my last comment it did sound sarcastic, but it wasn't I was genuinely asking if that was good enough :), I'm grateful for any advice given thank you.

Advertisement