Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with upgrading my PC

Options
  • 05-09-2016 6:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hello, iv been wanting to upgrade my PC for years but now iv finally gotten the push i need to actually do it, basically the pc is used for gaming and nothing else, nothing too fancy just blizzard games only, mainly World of Warcraft + Starcraft

basically i need a new Power supply, graphics card and id like a RAM upgrade

PC = HP - P6215uk
    grapics card = geforce g210

i assume for the ram it would be easier to replace the two ram sticks that i currently have rather than try and match the two that i currently have in place? if so what ram is actually compatible with my motherboard?
    i currently have 4gb ram but would like to upgrade to 8gb which i think is the maximum my mother board can have

do you have any advice on which grapics card i should buy, im currently looking at MSI NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB card, my aim would be to run WoW and SC on ultra, i know this card will comfortably be good enough for wow on ultra but are there any cheaper cards available to me that would do the same thing?

What power supply would people recommend?

my budget btw i can stretch it to 200 if needs be but id like to keep it as low as possible, preferably id like to stay as far below 150 as i possibly can so i may then consider a new monitor if theres any bargains available, my current monitor is a relatively old 16inch a upgrade might be nice to get the most out of the other money im spending

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Chiarrai92 wrote: »
    Hello, iv been wanting to upgrade my PC for years but now iv finally gotten the push i need to actually do it, basically the pc is used for gaming and nothing else, nothing too fancy just blizzard games only, mainly World of Warcraft + Starcraft

basically i need a new Power supply, graphics card and id like a RAM upgrade

PC = HP - P6215uk
    grapics card = geforce g210

i assume for the ram it would be easier to replace the two ram sticks that i currently have rather than try and match the two that i currently have in place? if so what ram is actually compatible with my motherboard?
    i currently have 4gb ram but would like to upgrade to 8gb which i think is the maximum my mother board can have

do you have any advice on which grapics card i should buy, im currently looking at MSI NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB card, my aim would be to run WoW and SC on ultra, i know this card will comfortably be good enough for wow on ultra but are there any cheaper cards available to me that would do the same thing?

What power supply would people recommend?

my budget btw i can stretch it to 200 if needs be but id like to keep it as low as possible, preferably id like to stay as far below 150 as i possibly can so i may then consider a new monitor if theres any bargains available, my current monitor is a relatively old 16inch a upgrade might be nice to get the most out of the other money im spending

RX 460 would be a great upgrade for your needs I'd say,
    RX 460 £99.95 I think it's a fairly small card so should fit fine.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c01919490 Is this your exact pc?

The 300W psu is probably ok, as the new cards are really efficient , but i'll let the experts here give their opinions! :P

As for ram,,
    HP says these are your options:
    FcKtLdJ.png

Do you have Windows 64bit or 32bit do you know?

Download something ilke Cpu-Z and post a screenshot of what it says under memory, and you'll be able to get 2 sticks that match the kind you currently have to bring it up to 8GB if you're on a 64 bit windows! Then you'll be set to go, with the RX460 too, it won't need a power connector, it'll be as simple as swapipng out the card you've in it now and installing AMD drivers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If that is the PC, it's pretty old, I wouldn't bother with an RX460 as it's overkill and will be extremely bottlenecked by the processor.

I'd say a 2nd hand GTX750 at around €70 would be fine (even that is still bottlenecked), anything more would be a waste really.

Other cards to consider that should be around €50 mark 2nd hand and would work on that 300W supply - GT740, HD7750, GTX650 non-ti, GTX745. All major upgrades on that old G210.

The board has 4 ram sockets so just throw in another random 2x2GB sticks of DDR3 ram, shouldn't cost more than about €15.

Overall a radical overhaul to run those games at high settings shouldn't cost more than about €70-90.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

If that is the PC, it's pretty old, I wouldn't bother with an RX460 as it's overkill and will be extremely bottlenecked by the processor.

I'd say a 2nd hand GTX750 at around €70 would be fine (even that is still bottlenecked), anything more would be a waste really.

Other cards to consider that should be around €50 mark 2nd hand and would work on that 300W supply - GT740, HD7750, GTX650 non-ti, GTX745. All major upgrades on that old G210.

The board has 4 ram sockets so just throw in another random 2x2GB sticks of DDR3 ram, shouldn't cost more than about €15.

Overall a radical overhaul to run those games at high settings shouldn't cost more than about €70-90.

And that's why I said wait for the experts :pac:

My intentions were good..I swear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not necessarily a terrible idea as it can be carried over to a new PC down the line, but the RX460 alone would be worth the same/more than the current machine - plus in pretty much all games it would be held back by the processor so you're getting a poor return on the investment.

As it is now, there's no point spending more than60-80 on it at most in my opinion, because it's a very old and outdated platform.

Technically you could upgrade the processor to a Q9650, graphics card to an RX460 and to 8GB ram for about €200....but at that point you might as well have just sold the old PC for €100 and picked up a way faster second hand i5 Dell or HP machine and thrown in an RX460 for €300-350 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Chiarrai92

Shlippery wrote: »
    My intentions were good..I swear!

Definitely! Anyone whos first thought is to works around the low power supply saving me money is a good person!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Chiarrai92

As it is now, there's no point spending more than60-80 on it at most in my opinion, because it's a very old and outdated platform.

Yea iv been considering a new PC aswell and i can afford one but. The PC is only used for WoW and SC and i havent been playing them much in the last 3-4 years in comparison my secondary school days

But we are 1 week into the new expansion in WoW and that fire is back for the game so i may aswell for the first time play on high grapics minimum, been playing the game 9 years with everything on minimum with 20fps

I use my Xbox1 for other games. And honesty im not sure if il still play WoW + SC in 3-4 years time so im torn between a new PC and upgrading my old one, however im a gamer and always will be so a new PC would be future proof as im conscious that my old pc could pack up in the morning!

While the PC is gaming only atm i think in afew years il make alot more use of it for farming finances and records than it currently is so again a future proof PC might be a wise investment as my current one is struggling with basic tasks these days i mean from the moment i power up the pc to logging into a wow server can take upto 30 mins these days it used take 2-3mins years ago

Il have a look thro the threads here to see whats avalible in the new PC side of things before i make any decision. I think id be happy to spend 600 on a new pc but i "could" spend upto 800 if the gain was attractive enough!
    but as with the upgrades the cheaper the better imo , iv no need for a top of the range PC now or likely ever as WoW isent the hardest game to run on max setting
    how does this look? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyberpower-Gaming-Blaster-950-Nvidia/dp/B01HGUEAN4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=JDD0ZBY1AB5HBPVYFPBA

Advertisement