Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacuum Slurry Tankers

Options
  • 04-09-2016 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am buying a Vacuum Tank through the grant scheme.

The Conor tank is coming in cheaper than Abbey and Major. Has anyone got any opinion on this?

Also Abbey is saying an inward chopper is needed at an extra cost of €3500 with their tank.

Would appreciate any opinion on best tank and value for money etc.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

Have you considered Rossmore? Bought a 2200 gln last year. Got the galvanised tank cheaper than a painted Abbey or Hi-Spec. Have to say its really well made and have had no problems so far. Also have a 1600 rossmore that's over 20 years old running perfectly and never spent a penny on it other than a bearing on the PTO stub shaft.

Worth considering IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

silageman wrote: »

The Conor tank is coming in cheaper than Abbey and Major. Has anyone got any opinion on this?

Also Abbey is saying an inward chopper is needed at an extra cost of €3500 with their tank.

TIA

I have a 2650 gal Conor here, very happy with it. Couldn't find a fault with it. 2 contractors have moved from Rossmore and Major to Conor tandem 3600 galvanised tanks. Very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

silageman wrote: »

TIA

Abbey would be regarded as "soft" in this area. Not to many abbeys replaced with abbeys. HiSpec are well regarded fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Would the chopper not be required only for dribble bar application?
    Galvanized tank would be the most important feature, in my opinion.
    Have an Abbey 1300 here for over 20 years. Its been rolled twice, and got a slight dinge while righting, but still soldiers on. (looks awful)
    On its third pump at the moment. Same Russian tyres from new, they're still in good order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 silageman

Thanks for replies

awaiting price from Rossmore tank but think I am swinging towards the Conor tank

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

We've a Conor 1350 here. Grand machine, hasn't failed us or given a moments bother. Fills in about 3 and a half minutes.

In hindsight we should have gotten a 1600 with big recessed wheels, but that's beside the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

silageman wrote:
    awaiting price from Rossmore tank but think I am swinging towards the Conor tank

What size tank and price is the conor?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Abbey would be regarded as "soft" in this area. Not to many abbeys replaced with abbeys. HiSpec are well regarded fwiw.

I agree, lots of bent Abbey drawbars round here, Conor selling well around here now too.

OP can you hang on till the ploughing match, you'll be able to compare almost side by side and maybe beat a few suppliers down or get free extras. What hp tractor have you?

Just wondering about the chopper, will splashplate be banned and everything have to be dribbled/injected?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If you're buying with the grant afaik it has to be with a dribble bar/ injector so a chopper would be required for most I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

blue5000 wrote: »
    I agree, lots of bent Abbey drawbars round here, Conor selling well around here now too.

OP can you hang on till the ploughing match, you'll be able to compare almost side by side and maybe beat a few suppliers down or get free extras. What hp tractor have you?

Just wondering about the chopper, will splashplate be banned and everything have to be dribbled/injected?

I think they will restrict the splash plate eventually. Knock 2 weeks off spring and Autumn spreading with a splashplate and it starts to look viable to use a dribble bar or injector.

• Advertisement

case885 wrote: »
    What size tank and price is the conor?

2500 gallon trail and shoe €32,700

blue5000 wrote: »

Yes might chance ploughing match, could be a good idea.

Tractor is 140hp and tank is trail and shoe

Think it looking like that re splash plate

Mooooo wrote: »
    If you're buying with the grant afaik it has to be with a dribble bar/ injector so a chopper would be required for most I'd imagine.

There is a chopper on the out-let for trail and shoe but Abbey told me I would need a chopper on the in-let too???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Conor tank here as well, it's been in an abusive relationship but it still loves me.

Good machine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

In time I think the Splashplate will be banned. When one considers the change around pollution etc in the last decade alone. It may still be a long time off though but in a wet climate like Ireland, one heavy shower and there is bubbles and foam flying down the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I think they will restrict the splash plate eventually. Knock 2 weeks off spring and Autumn spreading with a splashplate and it starts to look viable to use a dribble bar or injector.

I'd have no silage this year only for trailing shoe. No contamination of grass and was able to cut 4 weeks later.

A tank with a splashplate looks v old hat now and will never be used here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭limo_100

Muckit wrote: »
    I'd have no silage this year only for trailing shoe. No contamination of grass and was able to cut 4 weeks later.

A tank with a splashplate looks v old hat now and will never be used here again.

Would the dribble bar be the same result as the trailing shoe as in if you had used the dribble bar would you have got cutting 4weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

why is a splash plate polluting?

I run the aerator before the slurry and never have run off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The splash plate issue isn't runoff it's the fact more gas is supposedly released so the injectors and dribble bars are supposed to reduce that.

Advertisement