Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 Months Accommodation in Tirol?

Options
  • 04-09-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions where to look for accommodation for 4 months in pretty much any resort in the Tirol region? I've tried a number of sources now from tourist offices, facebook groups, austrian classifieds and airbnb. Struggling to find anything suitable and that's not astronomically priced! Would love to be near Mayrhofen but would consider anywhere really, I thought there'd be an abundance of apartments around the SkiWelt but nothing popping so far.

There are two of us going with our dog from January to April. We don't plan on working in a resort, maybe a few hours here and there more for the social aspect. We're going to get the Tirol Snowcard and travel around the region

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Seasonal accommodation, is the ultimate pig! Might be worth looking at campsites for accommodation!

Compared to weekly rentals seasonal accommodation is not profitable and therefore scarce

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭darka78

stevire wrote: »
    Any suggestions where to look for accommodation for 4 months in pretty much any resort in the Tirol region? I've tried a number of sources now from tourist offices, facebook groups, austrian classifieds and airbnb. Struggling to find anything suitable and that's not astronomically priced! Would love to be near Mayrhofen but would consider anywhere really, I thought there'd be an abundance of apartments around the SkiWelt but nothing popping so far.

There are two of us going with our dog from January to April. We don't plan on working in a resort, maybe a few hours here and there more for the social aspect. We're going to get the Tirol Snowcard and travel around the region

Thanks in advance!

Maybe finding more people with same intention to ski for same period as you would make accommodation much cheaper?

darka78 wrote: »
    Maybe finding more people with same intention to ski for same period as you would make accommodation much cheaper?

Amazingly not really! Seasonal accommodation is difficult no matter what resort you are in! Best analogy is like the airb&b situation in Dublin. It is more profitable, to rent accommodation for short term holiday lets than long term rents.

If you don't know someone on the ground it can be a real nightmare, best advice is to get on to as many of the seasoinare fb groups in the area and beg!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Cheers for the advice all. Finally got sorted, 10 mins from Kaprun so plenty of glacier skiing around there which is great. Got a studio apartment in a nice pension, ski bus outside the door so can't ask for much more...

Not quite Tirol but still Salzburg has a lot to offer and I think we're in the best region of Salzburg. The Salzburg Super Ski Card has also merged with Kitzbuhel All Star Card so plenty of pistes on offer!

It was a lot more difficult than I expected to find accommodation. Finding a room for a season is probably not as hard, there are a few shared accommodation options advertised although it would be more suited to someone in their early 20's by the sounds of it. Two of us and a dog wouldn't suit.

Can't wait for it now, if anyone has any advice on the Salzburg region please do share. Have only been to Tirol and Volarberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭darka78

Cheers for the advice all. Finally got sorted, 10 mins from Kaprun so plenty of glacier skiing around there which is great. Got a studio apartment in a nice pension, ski bus outside the door so can't ask for much more...

Not quite Tirol but still Salzburg has a lot to offer and I think we're in the best region of Salzburg. The Salzburg Super Ski Card has also merged with Kitzbuhel All Star Card so plenty of pistes on offer!

It was a lot more difficult than I expected to find accommodation. Finding a room for a season is probably not as hard, there are a few shared accommodation options advertised although it would be more suited to someone in their early 20's by the sounds of it. Two of us and a dog wouldn't suit.

Can't wait for it now, if anyone has any advice on the Salzburg region please do share. Have only been to Tirol and Volarberg.

lucky you :) if it is not secret what price per month you going to pay?

• Advertisement

darka78 wrote: »
    lucky you :) if it is not secret what price per month you going to pay?

No secret, we budgeted max of 4k between the two of us. Cost 3600, small kitchen and they change sheets etc every couple of weeks for 3 months but we'll have the option to extend in April. Budgeting 5k each overall:

Salzburg Ski Pass - 680 x 2 ppl
    Accommodation + Bills - 3600
    Fuel - 600
    Food - 2400 : 150 between 2 x 16 weeks
    Ferry - 281.5 : Ireland > England Return
    EuroTunnel - 205: Folkstone > Calais Return
    Road Tolls - 150: Both Ways

No secret, we budgeted max of 4k between the two of us. Cost 3600, small kitchen and they change sheets etc every couple of weeks for 3 months but we'll have the option to extend in April. Budgeting 5k each overall:

Salzburg Ski Pass - 680 x 2 ppl
    Accommodation + Bills - 3600
    Fuel - 600
    Food - 2400 : 150 between 2 x 16 weeks
    Ferry - 281.5 : Ireland > England Return
    EuroTunnel - 205: Folkstone > Calais Return
    Road Tolls - 150: Both Ways

Have a look at booking the land bridge it often works out cheaper and you can use the Tunnell, Reims is a good stopping point on the way

Fattes wrote: »
    Have a look at booking the land bridge it often works out cheaper and you can use the Tunnell, Reims is a good stopping point on the way

Crap didn't know that, already booked the Ireland > UK leg. I'll see how it what the difference is in price and if I can change it. Thanks for the tip!

Crap didn't know that, already booked the Ireland > UK leg. I'll see how it what the difference is in price and if I can change it. Thanks for the tip!

Might be small enough, but the landbridge via Irish ferries has flexiable boarding times with the eurotunnel if you arrive early or late. Dartfrod crossing is barrier free tolling, they never send you a bill ;)

On the French side tolls are expensive but worth it for the speed and comfort on the motorway network! If you need anything give me a shout.

Advertisement