Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 Hurling All Stars and Player of the year

Options
  • 04-09-2016 8:36pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

So now that the intercounty season is done , who will get the accolades this year ? Personally I think Hurler of the year could go to any of about 5 Tipp players. Austin Gleeson young Hurler. All Stars to about 9 Tipp players . All the Mahers, callinan. Bubbles . John mcgrath. Barrett. Breen.. Padraig Walsh. Ritchie Hogan. 2 burkes from Galway. Austin Gleeson.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Dont have strong opinion to be honest. On the basis it generally goes to an All Ireland winner, I'd say Padraic Maher, think he's been the most consistent performer but could be any one of three or four. Personally, I'd give it to Gleeson myself, but its odds on he'll get the young hurler so the chances of landing the double probably aren't that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

He won't win one but Pauric Mahony deserves a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

There's no stand out candidate really.
    I'd give it to Gleeson.

Although he didn't play in the final, so might go to P.Maher, but indeed Tipp have a few candidates

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

True, no one stand out candidate . Callinan didn't do enough all season albeit today was superb. I think Bonner might just get it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

If Wateford had the final Gleeson would probably get it, he'll get young hurler no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

He won't win one but Pauric Mahony deserves a mention.

Was surprised he wasnt mentioned on the Sunday Game discussion tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Murphy, Barrett, Barry, P Murphy, De Burca, Maher, Maher, Breen, Barron, Mahony, Gleeson, Hogan, Bubbles, Callinan, McGrath.

That's how i'd call it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭blue note

I fancy Gleeson for HOTY to be honest. He was the stand out hurler this year. I haven't seen the Sunday game yet and amazed to hear that the panel didn't mention him when talking about it.

I know the winner virtually always comes from the winning team, but I think this year could be another exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Callanan nailed on for hurler of the year. He got 9 from play in an all ireland which would be enough in any year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Callinan looks odds on alright, people saying he didn't do much earlier in the season seem to be basing that on the Galway match. He did plenty of damage against Limerick and Waterford.

Ozzy a racing certainty for YHOTY, possibly the most complete talent to emerge since Shefflin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Murphy, Barrett, Barry, P Murphy, De Burca, Maher, Maher, Breen, Barron, Mahony, Gleeson, Hogan, Bubbles, Callinan, McGrath.

That's how i'd call it anyway

No way bubbles should get one....didn't play enough hurling this year, however good he was when he was actually on the pitch !!

Could be argued alright but he was brilliant yesterday and was the difference against galway. Who would you put on instead of him? David Burke could be in midfield instead of Breen too who had a bit of an off day yesterday but was very good all year.

Callanan HOTY and Gleeson definitely YHOTY. Can't see him winning both

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

More of a believe in picking players where they played during the year. In the team below, if you were just picking the best players and exact positions were irrelevant I'd have Walsh/Mahony half forward, Bonnar in the centre and Hogan in the corner instead of Bubbles. But by and large, I think most of the below is nailed on

1 Murphy
    2 Barrett
    3 Burke
    4 Murphy (possibly not given he had a poor final, but can't think of any other corner back who had a better all round year)
    5 Walsh
    6 Maher
    7 Maher
    8 Barron
    9 Burke
    10 Bonnar (Walter Walsh in with a shout too, but Bonnars final gives him the nod I'd say)
    11 Hogan
    12 Gleeson
    13 Mcgrath
    14 Callinan
    15 Bubbles

HOTY P Maher
    YHOTY Gleeson with R Maher a close second

James Barry had to be the best full back this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Could be argued alright but he was brilliant yesterday and was the difference against galway. Who would you put on instead of him? David Burke could be in midfield instead of Breen too who had a bit of an off day yesterday but was very good all year.

David Burke is a shoo-in I feel. Was close to man of the match in virtually all Galway's games this Summer and when he came up against Breen and Brendan Maher in the semi-final he was the best midfielder on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

James Barry had to be the best full back this year.

Thought it was Daithi Burke myself. Again he held Seamus Callinan scoreless from play in the semi-final. Just think about how difficult that is to do. And he held TJ Reid scoreless from play in the first half of the Leinster final until Cody moved TJ out the field after half-time to get him into the game. That's 105 minutes of hurling marking Seamus Callinan and TJ Reid with neither of them scoring from play on him.

I wouldn't disagree with that. Great hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

2016 Opel GAA-GPA All-Star Hurling Nominations

Goalkeepers: Colm Callanan (Galway); Eoin Murphy (Kilkenny), Darren Gleeson (Tipperary).

Defenders: Cian Dillon (Clare); Daithí Burke, Pádraig Mannion (Galway); Cillian Buckley, Paul Murphy, Pádraig Walsh (Kilkenny); Diarmuid Byrnes (Limerick); Cathal Barrett, James Barry, Michael Cahill, Seamus Kennedy, Pádraic Maher, Ronan Maher (Tipperary); Noel Connors, Tadhg de Burca, Shane Fives, Philip Mahony (Waterford); Matthew O’Hanlon (Wexford).

Midfielders: David Burke (Galway), Conor Fogarty (Kilkenny); Michael Breen, Brendan Maher (Tipperary); Jamie Barron, Kevin Moran (Waterford).

Forwards: Colm Galvin, Tony Kelly (Clare), Alan Cadogan (Cork); Joe Canning, Conor Cooney (Galway); Richie Hogan, TJ Reid, Walter Walsh (Kilkenny); Seamus Callanan, Patrick Maher, Dan McCormack, John McGrath, Noel McGrath, JohnO’Dwyer (Tipperary); Austin Gleeson, Pauric Mahony, Michael Walsh (Waterford); Lee Chin (Wexford).

Hurler of the year: Seamus Callanan (Tipperary), Austin Gleeson (Waterford), Pádraic Maher (Tipperary).

Young hurler of the year: Shane Bennett (Waterford), Austin Gleeson (Waterford), Ronan Maher (Tipperary).

Advertisement