Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vintage JCB?

Options
  • 04-09-2016 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Not sure if this is the right place or not to be asking. But I know some of the lads are into auld tractors and the like. All the locals know that I am restoring a vintage Corolla and so while in the local last night for a few soft ones old Mick B says to be that he has an auld JCB lying up in yonder field for the last 20 years or so. If lads are into auld tractors, then are there lads into auld JCBs? I mean they are basically a tractor but with some buckets on either end. He said that I could drag it out of the field and have it to restore while I was doing the Corolla. Is there any money in these? Does anyone collect auld JCBs and auld machines? I always likes JCB since I was a wee lad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Try the following forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1068 they'll tell which way your hydrolics should be hangin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Not sure if this is the right place or not to be asking. But I know some of the lads are into auld tractors and the like. All the locals know that I am restoring a vintage Corolla and so while in the local last night for a few soft ones old Mick B says to be that he has an auld JCB lying up in yonder field for the last 20 years or so. If lads are into auld tractors, then are there lads into auld JCBs? I mean they are basically a tractor but with some buckets on either end. He said that I could drag it out of the field and have it to restore while I was doing the Corolla. Is there any money in these? Does anyone collect auld JCBs and auld machines? I always likes JCB since I was a wee lad.

Can you get us a pic??
    The cabs rust big time, moving it cold be hard if it does not run,,very handy to have one around a yard or a self build house.... I had a 3C11 and regretfully sold it about four years ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Pitstop Pete

clogher71 wrote: »
    Can you get us a pic??
    The cabs rust big time, moving it cold be hard if it does not run,,very handy to have one around a yard or a self build house.... I had a 3C11 and regretfully sold it about four years ago....

Fair play to ye Clogger. I haven't seen it myself as it way up the road well hidden in a field. From what he says I would imagine that it's in ****e as he says he parked it up in the 1980s. I wander up at weekend for a nosey. I was thinking that myself that it would be handy to have an auld vintage yoke that could also be worked for digging holes and the like.
    But is there any money in these? There is a grand following of auld tractors and I've been to many a fair and seem auld tractor runs. But I've never seen anyone collecting auld JCBs or the like. Why aren't these including in vintage tractor runs I always wondered? Or maybe there's no money to be made on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why aren't these including in vintage tractor runs I always wondered? Or maybe there's no money to be made on them.

Probably similar to the lack of commercial vehicles, they were driven/worked into the ground and basically unloved.

Have you ever tried to drive one on the road???? You have to take it very very handy, slower than a tractor or you would be in over the wall , well maybe through the wall in a JCB's case!! . They would be hard to transport to a show if you had a restored one, at 7.5 tonnes you would need a low loader and Lorry to pull it. A lot were sent/cut up for scrap metal when prices were high, but they are great fun to own, drive...standing 30 years, it's not in good shape, hoses perished etc....and then again you never know....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gholian

There is no money in these. To restore would cost three times what it is worth. This is more than likely why there are none at shows.

Fair point, but it's the same for most restoration projects, fair enough if it's an e-type jag, you should make money on one, but your everyday classics you won't get back what you put in.....

gholian wrote: »
    There is no money in these. To restore would cost three times what it is worth. This is more than likely why there are none at shows.

Plently people spend large sums of money restoring rather humdrum cars and tractors, just for sentimental reasons.

Plently people spend large sums of money restoring rather humdrum cars and tractors, just for sentimental reasons.

Original poster asks if there any money in these. The answer is definitively no. Lots of money spent on sentimental machines.pity they never be worth the cost.

gholian wrote: »
    pity they never be worth the cost.

Why pity?
    People are entitled to spend their own money whatever way they like.

Personally, I think trying to save something like an old JCB now has the same merit as say, preserving a steam roller/traction engine back when they were considered old junk simply of scrap value and nothing more. But of course many in this country only think of things in monetary terms only.

• Advertisement

Why pity?

Personally, I think trying to save something like an old JCB now has the same merit as say, preserving a steam roller/traction engine back when they were considered old junk simply of scrap value and nothing more. But of course many in this country only think of things in monetary terms only.

Yes people are entitled to spend money whatever way they like. I been though the restoration process several times. It would be nice for something that is as good or better than a new Car/Tractor (well at least more reliable) to be worth the money that was spend on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

You do realise that there is no JCB!

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Go on

Why pity?

Aye that is what I mean. I loved JCBs since a wee lad and this has me thinking as to why ye don't see auld ones being preserved? Fair point bout the wright and driving them on de roads. But some of those auld tractors are awful whoers on the roads too, but still great craic and good to see.
    Now I still haven't gotten to see thus auld one yet so I'm not dancing a jig yet.

John.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    You do realise that there is no JCB!

Woe there horse. It's not mine yet, but it may be a pile of ****e and not worth taking. But we will see.

Woe there horse. It's not mine yet, but it may be a pile of ****e and not worth taking. But we will see.

Any photos of it?

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Any photos of it?

Hey horse, how's she cuttin? Haven't spoken with ye in a while. No not yet, I haven't been up te see it yet. It the weather picks up over the weekend I'll call into this lad to have a look. He says that it well hidden in a yonder field. But I'll take a look. I'm still getting over a dose of the night-****s so me innards are still in knots so in no humour for trapsing around in this weather.

John.

Are you lonely? Try joining Tinder? Or Grindr if that is your fancy.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Hey horse, how's she cuttin? Haven't spoken with ye in a while. No not yet, I haven't been up te see it yet. It the weather picks up over the weekend I'll call into this lad to have a look. He says that it well hidden in a yonder field. But I'll take a look. I'm still getting over a dose of the night-****s so me innards are still in knots so in no humour for trapsing around in this weather.

John.

Yeah, havin' to put up with a load of sh1te day or night is not pleasant.
    Funny that your part of "West Meath" hasn't had great weather this week, apart from last weekend its hardly rained at all around Mullingar.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Are you lonely? Try joining Tinder? Or Grindr if that is your fancy.

Well now Horse, I showed the young lad your letter to get some sense made of it. And he told me about Tinder and flicker and grinder. And pointed out your rainbow coloured picture, and your name referencing to suck diesel. Well lad it seems your trying to find queer Street but have taken a wrong turn to meet me. Your choices are yur own lad, but your Barking up de wrong tree chasing me I can tell you. And so can my wife. She's a woman by the way. So horse you'll have te find company some where else.

• Advertisement

I am not interested in wat u be showing the young lad but u be better on a different forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Ah here.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,968 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Enough already

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement