Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Desktop advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

100% no. No decent upgrade path with it. Old cpu very weak gpu. You can do much better for this price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not great for the money, pretty outdated. This is way faster for less money if you prefer to buy rather than build, but look around at different case styles, etc. Just to give you an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

That was very quick reply, thank you.

That is disappointing thought the specs looked pretty good

I like the idea of building it, just not comfortable in buying all the differ components and put them together.

The budget i have (thinking of) is 700

Your advice is really appreciated.

The best value is to be had by building, but if buying pre-built this is also about twice as fast as that build you posted. It's €619 but that includes genuine Windows, so it's comparable to a €520 self build and realistically you wouldn't do much better. So it's pretty solid value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Crazy that they are all considered "fast" and "gaming" but none have SSD's :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

The best value is to be had by building, but if buying pre-built this is also about twice as fast as that build you posted. It's €619 but that includes genuine Windows, so it's comparable to a €520 self build and realistically you wouldn't do much better. So it's pretty solid value.

Thank you for the suggestion

Would i be able to upgrade this desktop in the future? Example to an i7, more memory and better graphics?

I understand for 700 i wont be getting anything that great but i would like to get the most out of the 700

ldr wrote: »
    Thank you for the suggestion

Would i be able to upgrade this desktop in the future? Example to an i7, more memory and better graphics?

I understand for 700 i wont be getting anything that great but i would like to get the most out of the 700

Yes, yes and yes. You'd build a better one if you self built (a skylake i5 with an RX470 based build), but for the money, you won't get a better one than that really for a click-and-order build with a warranty. And you can use the other €80 to pick up a nice keyboard and mouse, or speakers, or headset, or whatever combination really :) Or, of course, a 240GB SSD either for lightning fast boot time but that would require you to re-install Windows.

At the moment it would play stuff like GTA V at 1080p high-ultra at good FPS. It's a good PC.
    Crazy that they are all considered "fast" and "gaming" but none have SSD's :/

To be fair, the one for €620 includes a genuine copy of Win8, so the machine cost is €520 or so, really. And then, the retailer has to make a profit in that figure as well. So it wouldn't really be reasonable to expect it also to have an SSD for that sort of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have to admit, those prebuilt pcs are sort of decent. And by the looks of it they do use normal parts, not modified parts like dell does. So some upgrades still possible.
    Still not as good value as building yourself, but at least those ore built pcs actually balanced and usable. Not just some good cpu paired with complete low end rubbish gpu.
    As mentioned above, they do include windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

For anyone that might not be ready to build a gaming PC themselves,, there are 6 or 7 top notch system builders on adverts ..

You just look up their feedback,, some are over 300 and all green ,,,

Advertisement