Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant appeal to Student board

Options
  • 03-09-2016 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

On 15th of August I recieved a letter that susi appeal was unsuccessful for special maintaince rate.The next day I appealed to the student board.My question is:
    1.How long do they usually take to make decisions?
    2. If boards dont reply till after the 1st grant payment what happens...how much am i paid on the 1st payment date, as I am still waiting for the boards decision?
    3.Do you have any experiences with the Student boards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

cookie1996 wrote: »
    On 15th of August I recieved a letter that susi appeal was unsuccessful for special maintaince rate.The next day I appealed to the student board.My question is:
    1.How long do they usually take to make decisions?
    2. If boards dont reply till after the 1st grant payment what happens...how much am i paid on the 1st payment date, as I am still waiting for the boards decision?
    3.Do you have any experiences with the Student boards?

Hi
    As you were told when you posted here as well.

You may not receive a payment while your application is being appealed. If successful, you will receive all monies owed back dated with the increment you sought in your appeal. If you are unsuccessful you will only get what you were originally entitled to.

I think SUSI has changed a bit since they started in 2012 with a permanent base of core staff, that have a lot of more experience in assessing applications and appeals. The student grants appeals board (SGAB) only sits once a month, AFAIK, and it can take a long time before they see your individual cases. As SUSI gets better, you can be sure that the SGAB will be less like to overturn SUSI's assessment after SUSI make a decision on an appeal to their appeals officers.

Some applicants may complain that not knowing if they will get their assistance or grants until the appeal is over is not fair, but it is the person that makes the appeal against SUSI's decision in the first instance that may be the ones that causes the delay with no change to the original outcome.

I'm not saying that every decision SUSI makes is spot on, but over the last 4 years, they have greatly improved the process with clarity and no difference in the way each application is now assessed. Unlike when there was 66 awarding Authorities (VEC & County Council).

Advertisement