Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crochet

Options
  • 03-09-2016 8:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here crochet?

How did you learn? Is it easy to pick up from books or videos.

I tried it a few years ago with the first magazine from a 100 issues magazine. The art of crochet or something like that.

The first issue was cheap but at the end of it all, I would have spent over 600 euros to learn to crochet and crocheting a blanket out of it.

I picked up the technique of the first square fairly quickly, which meant waiting for the next issue for the next.

So I didn't continue with it.

I would like to learn something new and I'm thinking of trying crochet again. But maybe spending 20 euros or so on a book and some hooks.

Can anyone recommend a book and a website with beginner crochet designs of anything, like a scarf, cushion cover etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you learned to crochet a square, you can crochet! The hardest part of crochet is learning to hold the wool and hook and form the basic stitch; once you can do that you can do any of it.

I belong to a small group that meets and will happily teach anyone to knit or crochet, you might look locally and see if there is a similar group, libraries are worth checking, and they should be either free or very inexpensive; I have taught numerous people to crochet and once they pick up the trick of holding the wool and hook they are away. Your choice of hook is personal, I prefer the grey metal ones as they have a bit more of a point than some of the others, and it is easier to get the hook through the stitches.

There are loads of good videos on youtube, google crochet for beginners and find one that you like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAxGTnVNJiE this one gets on with the crochet rather than telling you about her life story and how cute her cats are :D

Do be aware that there is English crochet and US crochet, the stitch names are different, which can be confusing and means that your crochet will come out all wrong. It doesn't matter which one you learn, provided you are aware that there is a difference.

There are lots of different ways of holding the yarn, provided it works it does not matter which way you hold it. You need to be able to control your tension and allow the wool to feed easily into your work, so it is advisable to copy one of the ways shown, but use whichever one you find comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Thanks looksee. What do you think of books, like I'm looking at the crochet bible and reading reviews its seems to be about crochet techniques. It also explains the US and UK differences. So it doesn't seem that bad of a book to have and to refer to.

If you see a book that you feel is useful, get it certainly! I don't tend to use books because I can do the basic stitches and I don't really to make clothes so I don't follow patterns; I find I can usually look at something and reproduce it. Its like cooking though, I never follow a recipe exactly!

Learning the stitches is fine, following crochet patterns can be difficult, not as clear cut as knitting, though the diagram crochet patterns seem to be easier. Buy a book that you like the patterns in, and that has diagrams for learning stitches that you can follow. I have just looked at the Crochet Bible on Amazon and it does seem to have a good lot of information in it. Generally I prefer to follow book instructions rather than tutorials, but that is just a personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

I learned to crochet on YouTube. So did lots of my friends. It's such a great resource fur tutorials. Good luck with it, OP, and enjoy it.
    Apart from the last 7 wks when I've had a new born baby in my arms, you'd rarely find me on my couch without a hook and wool in my hands.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I learned from youtube videos too. I'd hurt my elbow and couldn't knit so I decided to try crochet as that didn't cause me pain. It took me a week to go from complete novice to making a novelty hat for my toddler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My mother taught me to crochet when I was about 7 or 8 years old. It seems today it really doesn't matter which way you hold the wool and hook as long as the stitches come out right. I once walked into a crochet workshop and was astonished at all the different methods in use but it all worked. I'm glad that I learned the original way however because I think it is much faster but that could be because I can do it blindfold now. My mother only taught me to chain and to treble, and for a long time I believed that was all there was to learn! However, I learned how wrong I was and went about teaching myself some other stitches from this book, link below. But today I enjoy using Youtube. Mikey from The Crochet Crowd is very easy to watch and learn from. By the way, don't buy those weekly magazines, they are far too expensive and believe me, you don't need them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-First-Steps-In-Crochet-Instruction-Guide-by-Patons-Magazine-/172322079654?hash=item281f3243a6:g:uvcAAOSw9IpXwzSl

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

I'd recommend Bella coco on you tube. She's very good at explaining the basics.

There's not that much to crochet, once you can chain, single,double,and treble crochet you can make anything!

I bought all my hooks on eBay and frequently buy yarn there too. Loads of discount shops sell yarn that's fine for beginners.

Happy Crocheting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

My Hungarian grandmother taught me to crochet while I was still almost a baby (I was barely three, but even at that age I was able to sit quietly and follow instructions). She suckered me into believing that because I was small, I could use the tiniest hooks and finest thread, and make delicate doilies. :)

There are thousands and thousands of books on beginner crochet, and some really novel but basic techniques that extend your repertory without stress or difficulty, such as the "in between" extended stitches made with an extra yarn over and pull through, and the "tapestry crochet" technique that allows you to make two-sided patterns by hiding your color change yarn in the stitches as you go, and the technique that makes knitting-look fabric with just simple slip stitches, and the Tunisian or Afghan crochet that is sort of a cross between knitting and crochet, but is simple to learn and easy to keep track of.

All crochet can be boiled down to something like "Yarn over [ ] times, stick your hook in the specified location, yarn over [ ] times, draw [ ] loops through leaving [ ] loops on the hook, repeat as directed", where the value of [ ] could be anything from zero to several.

I ordered a hook set and a book from Amazon. And hope to pick up some cheap yarn in the pound shop. Can't wait till they come. It seems like a cool craft to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

The Raptor wrote: »
    I ordered a hook set and a book from Amazon. And hope to pick up some cheap yarn in the pound shop. Can't wait till they come. It seems like a cool craft to learn.

You will never lack for advice if you post on crochet forums. Every needleworker seems to have a second hobby as a teacher. :D

• Advertisement

I'm really liking crochet. It takes forever to create something though but i would like to make a scarf for the winter. Aldi has some cheap yarn on Thursday, so i would like to pick up some but i don't know how many balls i would need to make a scarf. Has anyone made a scarf before, how many balls is needed. Or will i be better off with going to a wool type shop so if i run out, at least i can pick some more up easily, whereas aldi/lidl, once they're gone, you can't get anymore.

I found that Aldi wool can come in kits, for a scarf or socks. So you might be able to get a pack with everything already in it including a pattern, but it might be knitting, not crochet. I don't crochet scarves so can't help I'm afraid. Depends on how wide and long you want it to be I suppose. Someone else will be better able to tell you here.

If there is enough yarn for a knitted scarf there should be enough for a crocheted one.

I have just looked at the ad for Aldi yarn and it is not particularly cheaper than you can buy elsewhere, and only similar quality, so I would not worry too much about it, get some in a local wool shop. The aran can be quite thick, a scarf in that would e a bit stiff and chunky, crochet tends to work better in no thicker than double knitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wicked_wytch

I learned from youtube, millions of videos showing how to crochet. Also you can get hundreds of free patterns from ravelry.com

There are plenty of crochet facebook groups too. Try and do a CAL or Crochet ALong, there are usually a few on the go. They are a group project where a new bit of the pattern is released each week. You print it off and work away for the week until the next bit is released, like being given a crochet homework assignment each week. They usually have associated facebook groups where people doing the CAL can ask questions, compare progress, solve problems. I found it really encouraged me to learn new stitches quickly and gave me some motivation to keep doing a particular project. I'm in the middle of doing the Mandala madness CAL and have learned soooo much. There are free youtube videos to go along with it for each week and free patterns. Another one is the Sophies Universe crochet along. Don't be put off by how complex they look, I'd been crocheting all of 2 months before I started mine and could only do one or two stitches. After a week or 2 of the CAL I'd learned 4 or 5 new stitches and became a lot more confident. You can do them live as they happen and crochet along with the group or you can download all at once and go at your own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silverlight69

I learnt to crochet through youtube videos. The basic stitches are very clearly explained and there are many interesting projects to try to do. To see a finished project and know you did it is a wonderful feeling. I was nervous of the knitting as I kept dropping stitches and it is a very slow process. Crochet is much faster and your results are almost immediate. I am a big fan of crochet now.

I think I am a visual learner. I had a lot of difficulty with understanding the way patterns are written in books. However, I can read them a bit better since learning online. I am thrilled to do it now. It has opened a brand new world to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jumbootoys

recently m tried to learn crochet from youtube but it is hard so not till fully understand

I find Bella Coco,(UK terms) JaydaInStitches (US terms) and Bag O Day tutorials extremely easy to follow. They are aimed at beginners. You can pause the video, replay the bit you need to understand as often as you wish. There are lots of crochet projects to enjoy making too. Take your time with it and you will get the hang of it.

All available on Youtube

I would second what silverlight69 said. I also use The Crochet Crowd on Youtube. I work in British terms but I can transfer the American terms to British if necessary. Mikey and Bella are gentle folk, Jayda on the other hand is a tad hyper but I love her tutorials to bits! :) There are plenty of tutorials on Youtube but here are the links:

The Crochet Crowd (Mikey) (American terms)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11iw-yBGm-k&list=PL69F5A7FE3F95232F

Bella Coco (British terms)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npIsh-o9AM0

Jayda in Stitches (American terms)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWFI-S2WLW4

• Advertisement

I have to say I'm really liking crochet. I'm still doing fairly basic stitches but I'm learning. I only started my scarf at Christmas. There's alot of work in it. I thought it wouldn't take so long and it wouldn't take 3 weeks but it takes ages to see results. Another week or so.

You'll get quicker the more you do it. Well done!

Well, I'm finally finished my scarf. I must admit, I really enjoyed making it. One or two mistakes but hardly noticeable, like I added in an extra stitch on the second row and didn't notice it until it was finished. It's hardly noticeable though, so I'll still use it.

The Raptor wrote: »
    Well, I'm finally finished my scarf. I must admit, I really enjoyed making it. One or two mistakes but hardly noticeable, like I added in an extra stitch on the second row and didn't notice it until it was finished. It's hardly noticeable though, so I'll still use it.

Congratulations! Keep going now, and learn new stitches. I find the modern patterns are more attractive than the older ones from my early days, and clever crafters keep coming up with new ideas.

Advertisement