Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boil Water Notice issued across large swathe of Mayo

Options
  • 02-09-2016 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Mayo County Council has issued a Boil Water Notice
    and Map of areas affected

From the Mayo News:
    Cryptosporidium contamination detected in county’s main water supply
    A Boil Water Notice has been put in place effective since this evening, Friday, September 2, across a vast swathe of County Mayo, after sampling found the presence of Cryptosporidium in the Lough Mask Regional Water Supply Scheme. It is estimated that 46,500 people are being effected by this notice, in locations across Castlebar, Westport, Ballinrobe, Claremorris and in several other areas, after a routine water sample detected Cryptosporidium in the treated water coming from the Lough Mask Water Treatment Plant.

This is just the second positive sample in the Lough Mask water supply in five years, and in line with normal practice, but depending on clear results from the now daily testing that will occur, this Boil Water Notice could remain in place for approximately two weeks. Following advice from the Health Service Executive, Irish Water and Mayo County Council issued the alert on the Lough Mask Regional Water Supply Scheme to protect consumers...
    Source: http://www.mayonews.ie/news/28485-boil-water-notice-issued-across-large-swathe-of-mayo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

I was in Tesco just before they closed and noticed everyone loading trolleys with water. Thought there was a sale on it, then a neighbour rang to alert me.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Quick question...
    Workplaces with those boiling appliances which keep water on a constant boil.
    Is there a risk with using water from those ?
    Am I reading the whole, "boiled several times" caveat too literally when I feel a bit of concern regarding drinking hot drinks made with water from those appliances.
    I assume those are same appliances used in cafes for tea, etc.
    So maybe they are fine... ?

Just looking for an opinion ...

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭interlocked

Boil Notice has just been lifted

Advertisement