Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars Threatening Cyclist

Options
  • 02-09-2016 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭

I cycle around Dublin to get to work and have had some really exceptional encounters from some drivers. I freely admit that some irritations and frustrations are going to be expressed by any side. I am talking about full on threatening driving directed at cyclists like swerving into them, driving very close and revving their engines, Blocking their path suddenly etc...

Do people really think this is anyway acceptable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I cycle around Dublin to get to work and have had some really exceptional encounters from some drivers. I freely admit that some irritations and frustrations are going to be expressed by any side. I am talking about full on threatening driving directed at cyclists like swerving into them, driving very close and revving their engines, Blocking their path suddenly etc...

Drivers don't swerve or rev engines at cyclists.

This reminds me of the poster that was convinced there is a button in the cab of buses in Dublin that the driver can press to hiss air at cyclists... (Its a safety valve, random)

Or that buses toot the horn when the lights go green. (Bus being put in gear)

You must very paranoid thinking every motorist is out to get cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

prinzeugen wrote: »

You must very paranoid thinking every motorist is out to get cyclists.

You must have missed the very clear and simple "some" before drivers :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Some do. There's examples from this week alone on the Cycling forum.

You must have missed the very clear and simple "some" before drivers :rolleyes:

Did see that thanks..

What about the 20+ cyclists that thought it is OK to lock bikes to the fire exits at the Aviva Stadium on Wed night???

Some Cyclists deliberately threatening 1000's of lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Didn't take long for the whataboutery to kick in. Another pointless train wreck has commenced

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Some Cyclists deliberately threatening 1000's of lives.
    yes, i'm sure that was the primary thing on their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ray Palmer wrote: »

Hence why I cycle with 3 cameras :D

yes, i'm sure that was the primary thing on their minds.

So you think blocking a fire exit is OK then??? FFS

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Didn't take long for the whataboutery to kick in. Another pointless train wreck has commenced

Forgot that only pro cycling comments are allowed.. Why don't you take this to the cycling forum. You will get more thanks there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

So you think blocking a fire exit is OK then??? FFS
    yes, the primary thing on my mind when locking my bike up is 'how can i do this in such a way as to threaten as many lives as possible?'

i think you need to look up what 'deliberate' means.
    and then we can have a discussion about whether the architects & builders were deliberate in their design of fire exits if a few locked bikes can threaten thousands of lives.

• Advertisement

yes, the primary thing on my mind when locking my bike up is 'how can i do this in such a way as to threaten as many lives as possible?'

i think you need to look up what 'deliberate' means.
    and then we can have a discussion about whether the architects & builders were deliberate in their design of fire exits if a few locked bikes can threaten thousands of lives.

Well the feck off big green signs on the doors informing people its a fire exit and cycles will be removed should be a warning.

But no.. They deliberately lock them there still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

I got accused by a cyclist of revving my engine at him. I've a Prius ffs!!! The engine stops and will start and run if the battery is needing a boost.

You actually can't really rev the engine on hybrids as the accelerator is just an input into a computer that will ignore ridiculous driver inputs : pressing the accelerator hard with the brake depressed just generates an on screen error message. Revving in neutral does nothing. They're drive by wire. The "shift selector" and accelerator are just control surfaces. Only the brake is physically linked to anything mechanical.

Anyway he freaked out because the system started the engine to top up the battery. In stopped traffic, they'd normally stay fully silent but, if the battery was low, you'll get a bit of engine running.

They also use a continuously variable drive (there aren't any gear steps) so the computer will start and run the engine at the optimal speed to minimise petrol usage and co2 and that isn't slow. So they do a bit more than idling when charging.

Anyway he yelled at me for aggressively revving at him. No amount of explaining how ridiculous it is to suggest that hybrid did that would get him to stop banging on my window every time the engine cycled!!!! He seemed to think that the engine cycling during his yelling match was me trying to annoy him.

Absolute aggressive moron whoever he was and frankly I'm not blaming cyclists. Some people seem to get on a bike or behind the wheel of a car just so they can find fault with all other road users. It's basically just another expression of road rage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Pointless, open ended original post more suited to a personal blog than this forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement