Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fermoy and Portlaoise tolls - Visa contactless?

Options
  • 02-09-2016 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I currently have a tag that I'll be getting rid of soon enough (as I barely use it these days). One of the reason I got the tag initially was to avoid the scrabble for coins.

Do any of the toll plazas (specifically Fermoy and Portlaoise) use Visa contactless? E.g. roll down window, hold card to machine, drive through?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope, cash or tag only.. https://www.eflow.ie/driving-in-ireland/
    Ten of Ireland’s eleven toll roads have conventional barrier toll plazas. Unless your car has an electronic tag, you will need to stop at the cashier’s booth and pay your toll in cash.

Dublin’s M50 is a barrier-free toll road operated by eFlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

*sigh*

Thanks. I suppose it would have been too much to ask for!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I like the way it says tag or cash only on a company selling tags. You can pay by card, it's just not contactless, at all bar the tag only lanes.

http://www.etoll.ie/driving-on-toll-roads/information-for-visitors/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Toll booths accept credit cards aswell as cash. Have often wondered why they don't accept debit cards though.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I like the way it says tag or cash only on a company selling tags. You can pay by card, it's just not contactless, at all bar the tag only lanes.

http://www.etoll.ie/driving-on-toll-roads/information-for-visitors/
    GM228 wrote: »
    Toll booths accept credit cards aswell as cash. Have often wondered why they don't accept debit cards though.

If the booths accept credit card I'm fairly sure they'd accept debit as well - the majority of machines can't tell the difference (particularly with Visa Debit as opposed to Laser). You'd think it would make sense to add a contactless pad to the unmanned machines as well though - drive up, hold your card to the machine, drive off.

I wonder how their pre-paid cards work? Do you have to swipe them somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Thoie wrote: »
    If the booths accept credit card I'm fairly sure they'd accept debit as well - the majority of machines can't tell the difference (particularly with Visa Debit as opposed to Laser). You'd think it would make sense to add a contactless pad to the unmanned machines as well though - drive up, hold your card to the machine, drive off.

I wonder how their pre-paid cards work? Do you have to swipe them somewhere?

No they don't accept debit cards, they have big signs showing a debit card with an X through them saying they don't take debit cards but do accept credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You'd think it would make sense to add a contactless pad to the unmanned machines as well though - drive up, hold your card to the machine, drive off.
    Every now and then after a certain number of contactless transactions you have to use your PIN to reset the counter. You'd have to have a full terminal with keypad installed to cater for these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

GM228 wrote: »

Not sure about all of them, but the M4 toll does not go online for an authorisation. This is permitted by the card schemes for credit cards, but not for debit cards.

Not sure about all of them, but the M4 toll does not go online for an authorisation. This is permitted by the card schemes for credit cards, but not for debit cards.

I thought contactless payments for Visa Debit were the same (hence the €30 limit) - they don't do a real time check on funds, just send through the request in the standard batch process?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I thought contactless payments for Visa Debit were the same (hence the €30 limit) - they don't do a real time check on funds, just send through the request in the standard batch process?

They look like toll machines that I used in France and the tolls where higher than €30 and none required a pin. The technology works and isn't much slower than contactless, which doesn't work 1st time all the time, so why replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

paying the toll in France this year I used my credit card - inserted the card (it doesn't have contactless) but was never asked for the PIN, this was at several different toll booths operated by different companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

They need one standard set of requirements.

ALL tolls should take credit and debit cards as standard.

It's nuts there's so much inconsistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They need one standard set of requirements.

ALL tolls should take credit and debit cards as standard.

It's nuts there's so much inconsistency.

A far better idea would be the adoption of barrier-free tolling (as on the M50) on all other affected routes

Advertisement