Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

long commute from west cork to the city-is it worth it?

Options
  • 02-09-2016 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello,
    Would like to hear people views here.
    I currently hate the job I'm in and want to get out. The only issue is that there few/if any jobs in the area I work in west cork.
    So realistically to get a job in my area, I would have to commute to Cork min 1.5 hours min each way, so total > 3 hours a day travelling.
    I have 2 young kids that I enjoy seeing in the evening which I can do now.
    However not sure how long my sanity in current job without getting depressed/dejected.

So my dilemma is:
    Should I quit my current job (80 mins commute per day) and aim to work and commute in Cork 200min per day.(also possible stay up there a few nights which would mean I wouldn't see my young kids in the evening time to read them stories or put them to bed)

My head is wrecked on what to do.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

How much extra money will you end up with at the new job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 babablackcow

about the same wage, but chance of higher job satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

When the novelty of the new job wears off, the commute will be a scourge. With the extra commuting costs you'll have less money than now despite spending more time away from the home.

I expect you'll eventually come to conclude its not worth it financially nor in terms of time away from your family. Whether you find this out the hard way or not is up to you :)

Maybe worth considering again when your kids are a bit older. That can be the light at the end of the tunnel while you deal with your current pain of a job.

What can you do to make your current job a little more palatable?

not much I can do, just accept to being unhappy and wait it out until retirement unfortunately.
    Or if I could take a sabatical for 3-6 months to clear my head that would definitely lower my contempt for the job. But they don't give those breaks here..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

is working from home an option in your job?
    you might find a company in Cork city that allows that flexibilty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

As kids are young would you consider moving the family nearer the city?That commute would be too much imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Baba, West Cork is big country. 1.5 hours is a fair lot. It probably doesn't matter in the morning, your gone early anyway, I presume. Largely discounting that. what time would you finish in the evening in the new place? Could you flexi and start early? Get away a 4.30/5. Home for 6/6.30. Hit the sack at 9.30pm.
    Was on the road for years. I would say generally an hours drive before and after work wouldn't faze me. 1.5 hours would have me thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I did 2.5 hours a day round trip for 3 years, mixture of motorway, National and link roads. It can be lovely in the summer (sometimes) but it's hard going in the winter.

I was gobsmacked at the difference in my life when I got a job closer to home. Doctors and dentists appointments in the middle of the day? No half days needed? Boilerman coming at 5 oclock? no problem.

If you need to clear your head, go for it, but don't burn any bridges and plan on being back in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Don't forget the extra costs with that commute, need for a good car and loss of evenings due to being tired. A job in a local Lidl would probably work out better from a life and cost perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

What kinda of work are you in then? Or looking for... I must say there is nothing worse than being in a job like that and it cannot be good for you..Seems like you are stuck really but there are always other options you just havent thought of it..Like someone else mentioned perhaps you could do it for now but dont burn any bridges leave with the knowledge maybe you could go back if the commute was too much

• Advertisement

Thanks to all for their advice, I am thinking probably what I could aim for, is try get a job that allows work from home for 2 days and then stay up in Cork for one night and that might just work.
    I suppose its no harming in looking at jobs and see what comes out of it.
    Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

A lot depends on the line of work you are in and if you are in a position to change career path, slightly. In that event, more jobs could be open to you and you might not have to look as far away as Cork City. There could be jobs in a neighbouring town, which would mean a shorter commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

Any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sneem

Hello again all,
    I have an interview in Cork next week- the jobs looks really good but the hours are 9-5.30pm
    Its really tough to know what to do if I get offered, but I'm hoping that maybe they would allow work from home for a few days and maybe commute 3 days.
    I'll let you know how it goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Confused. Presume you have two accounts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement