Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Drive in Macbook

Options
  • 01-09-2016 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭

Are there any macbooks currently on the market that have a DVD drive? I am aware that DVD drives are getting less & less fashionable, but I still like to have the capability of watching a DVD in my machine! As far as I can see, its not possible but maybe I am missing something

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

If it's any use to you, you can get pretty slim USB powered ones: http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/liteon-slim-ebau108-external-usb-dvd-writer/316786/402.5.0

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Apple somehow still sells a non-retina macbook pro. It's awful. It's horrendously expensive, and it's something straight out of 2010. But it has a DVD drive. But that's all it has going for it. Somehow that piece of crap costs €1299. You'd be far better off buying a Dell laptop for 600 and giving 700 to charity over getting the Apple.

I do like the Macbook Pro Retina laptops, but they are very long in the tooth at this point and are poor value for money. If I were you, I'd seriously consider just how much you really need the DVD drive, you might be surprised how little you actually would use it!

Here's a link to the Apple laptop with DVD:

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/apple-macbook-pro-13/311159/396.1.1

4GB of RAM, 5th gen i5 processor (we're just about onto 7th gen processors now), low resolution screen, HDD instead of SSD. Just terrible.

Did I mention how terrible that laptop is???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Apple somehow still sells a non-retina macbook pro. It's awful. It's horrendously expensive, and it's something straight out of 2010. But it has a DVD drive. But that's all it has going for it. Somehow that piece of crap costs €1299. You'd be far better off buying a Dell laptop for 600 and giving 700 to charity over getting the Apple.

I do like the Macbook Pro Retina laptops, but they are very long in the tooth at this point and are poor value for money. If I were you, I'd seriously consider just how much you really need the DVD drive, you might be surprised how little you actually would use it!

Normally I would go for something like a Dell laptop, but this time I have to get the Mac for different reasons. I do use the DVD drive on my current windows laptop though :-( Aah well, maybe I will just go for the external DVD drive that was posted above.

Thanks so much for your help.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Normally I would go for something like a Dell laptop, but this time I have to get the Mac for different reasons. I do use the DVD drive on my current windows laptop though :-( Aah well, maybe I will just go for the external DVD drive that was posted above.

Thanks so much for your help.

I'd recommend going the external drive route to be honest! Or look into netflix or other streaming alternatives to watch tv shows or movies!

Advertisement