Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poc Fada across the River Suir

Options
  • 01-09-2016 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

The Mighty River Suir Poc Fada 2016 is a fundraiser in aid of Waterford Marine Search and Rescue and Pieta House South East, sponsored by RE/MAX Ireland.
    The challenge is for the competitors to try and puc a sliotar with a hurley over the mighty river Suir from a platform based in the Merchants Quay car park over the river Suir to the North Wharf, a distance of approximately 150 meters.
    We are hoping that all the hurling and camogie clubs in Waterford and Kilkenny turn out over the weekend to support this great event.
    We are hoping also to have the Waterford and Kilkenny Senior hurling teams joining us on one of the days to see which team can complete the challenge and take the title of champion of the MIGHT RIVER SUIR PUC FADA 2016, as well as meeting some great people and spreading the word
    IT’S OK NOT TO BE OK and help to try and beat the stigma around suicide and mental health.
    Maurice Shanahan and John Mullane have committed to supporting this great event.
    Venue: Merchants Quay car park
    Dates: 17th and 18th September 2016.
    Time: 10 am untill 6pm each day
    Price: €2 per sliotar or 3 for €5
    Music and prizes on the day
    A platform will be erected by Mullally scaffolding in the Merchants Quay car park (behind the Bus Station)
    It will be the same height as the glass wall where you will be able to try your best to hit a sliotar across the mighty river Suir.
    We will also have floating marks in the water for competitors to try and hit a sliotar into and a close one for the little people.
    We will have a table set up at the platform where you can purchase you sliotar , we will also provide hurley's on the day or bring your own but you must use the Mighty river Suir poc fada sliotars only.
    Waterford Marine Search and Rescue will have a boat on the water at all times for safety cover and to recover the sliotars from the water.
    We will have stewards in the car park looking after the public at all times.
    A big thanks to our sponsors
    Waterford Port Company
    Mullally Scaffolding
    Remax Ireland
    Urma Sports
    and many more to follow

https://www.facebook.com/The-Mighty-River-Suir-Poc-Fada-721802834546763/?fref=ts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

The Mighty River Suir Poc Fada 2016 is a fundraiser in aid of Waterford Marine Search and Rescue and Pieta House South East, sponsored by RE/MAX Ireland.
    The challenge is for the competitors to try and puc a sliotar with a hurley over the mighty river Suir from a platform based in the Merchants Quay car park over the river Suir to the North Wharf, a distance of approximately 150 meters.
    We are hoping that all the hurling and camogie clubs in Waterford and Kilkenny turn out over the weekend to support this great event.
    We are hoping also to have the Waterford and Kilkenny Senior hurling teams joining us on one of the days to see which team can complete the challenge and take the title of champion of the MIGHT RIVER SUIR PUC FADA 2016, as well as meeting some great people and spreading the word
    IT S OK NOT TO BE OK and help to try and beat the stigma around suicide and mental health.
    Maurice Shanahan and John Mullane have committed to supporting this great event.
    Venue: Merchants Quay car park
    Dates: 17th and 18th September 2016.
    Time: 10 am untill 6pm each day
    Price: 2 per sliotar or 3 for 5
    Music and prizes on the day
    A platform will be erected by Mullally scaffolding in the Merchants Quay car park (behind the Bus Station)
    It will be the same height as the glass wall where you will be able to try your best to hit a sliotar across the mighty river Suir.
    We will also have floating marks in the water for competitors to try and hit a sliotar into and a close one for the little people.
    We will have a table set up at the platform where you can purchase you sliotar , we will also provide hurley's on the day or bring your own but you must use the Mighty river Suir poc fada sliotars only.
    Waterford Marine Search and Rescue will have a boat on the water at all times for safety cover and to recover the sliotars from the water.
    We will have stewards in the car park looking after the public at all times.
    A big thanks to our sponsors
    Waterford Port Company
    Mullally Scaffolding
    Remax Ireland
    Urma Sports
    and many more to follow

https://www.facebook.com/The-Mighty-River-Suir-Poc-Fada-721802834546763/?fref=ts

Great idea, hope it goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

I don't think anyone would manage to hit it all the way across.

Should be good fun though..best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Teebor15 wrote: »

No sh1t! If as the OP says it's a full 150m, it's 6m longer than Croke Park...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Teebor15 wrote: »

No sh1t! If as the OP says it's a full 150m, it's 6m longer than Croke Park...

Would be some man (or woman) who manages to hit that across!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Will someone please think of the fish:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

Yeah 150metres across -would take a fair whack to get it even close :)
    Should be fun and on the plus side it's to benefit 2 worthy organisations ..... Pieta House and Waterford Marine Search and Rescue:)
    If anyone is personal friends with the senior hurlers send them my way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How about me being able to buy a few sliotars and have someone there to hit them on my behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

looksee wrote: »
    How about me being able to buy a few sliotars and have someone there to hit them on my behalf?

My son was saying the same earlier.

deisemum wrote: »
    My son was saying the same earlier.

Absolutely no problem - it's open to all ages. :)

• Advertisement

https://m.facebook.com/Remax-Waterford-Team-Fogarty-138494039607036/

Kevin Moran and Derek Mcgrath popped down today for the launch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Are the sliotars standard size and weight? I'd be amazed if anyone hits a standard sliotar over the suir.

gobo99 wrote: »
    Are the sliotars standard size and weight? I'd be amazed if anyone hits a standard sliotar over the suir.

We will have both standard size 4 and 5 :)
    It would be a sight alright to clear it :) Surely there's one big hitter in the city somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

We will have both standard size 4 and 5 :)
    It would be a sight alright to clear it :) Surely there's one big hitter in the city somewhere :)

If there was someone anywhere, never mind in Waterford, who could puck a ball more than the length of an entire hurling pitch, they'd be pretty well known... (maybe someone like Brendan Cummins or Anthony Nash could do it wind assisted with a size 4...)

If there was someone anywhere, never mind in Waterford, who could puck a ball more than the length of an entire hurling pitch, they'd be pretty well known... (maybe someone like Brendan Cummins or Anthony Nash could do it wind assisted with a size 4...)

Was thinking Brendan Cummins myself. Sure if you want it done right get a Tipp man in ;) 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Derek McGrath is a well-noted Matt Damon expert.

Advertisement