Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business or Home Economics?

Options
  • 01-09-2016 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've just started fifth year and I'm doing home economics because I liked it for the junior cert and I thought the Food section would be handy to have because Human Nutrition is one of my options after school. I did business for junior cert aswell and when all my friends chose it for the leaving I was adamant that I didn't like it. However I've always done very well in it and found it very easy and looking back I think it was more the class and teacher I didn't like, rather than the subject. The home economics class I have been put into is terrible - there are only seven of us and I don't know anyone.. They all know each other really well so I feel left out. I'm left sitting at a table on my own and to be honest I'm miserable. The teacher is good but it seems like she will be leaving us to come up with notes on our own and use our common sense which is just not the way I like to learn. I'm beginning to wonder if I really like home economics at all and if I would be better off moving to business. I also don't like the sound of that cookery journal and all my friends are in business. I've lost interest in human nutrition aswell. Business is taught by a lovely teacher but it was always accounting I preferred about business but that subject is not an option for me. I haven't got my results yet but I'm pretty sure I got an A in business and maybe a B in home economics because of the textiles project. I want to hear from people who have done or are doing both subjects for the leaving please if you have any advice for meðŸ˜

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I've just started fifth year and I'm doing home economics because I liked it for the junior cert and I thought the Food section would be handy to have because Human Nutrition is one of my options after school. I did business for junior cert aswell and when all my friends chose it for the leaving I was adamant that I didn't like it. However I've always done very well in it and found it very easy and looking back I think it was more the class and teacher I didn't like, rather than the subject. The home economics class I have been put into is terrible - there are only seven of us and I don't know anyone.. They all know each other really well so I feel left out. I'm left sitting at a table on my own and to be honest I'm miserable. The teacher is good but it seems like she will be leaving us to come up with notes on our own and use our common sense which is just not the way I like to learn. I'm beginning to wonder if I really like home economics at all and if I would be better off moving to business. I also don't like the sound of that cookery journal and all my friends are in business. I've lost interest in human nutrition aswell. Business is taught by a lovely teacher but it was always accounting I preferred about business but that subject is not an option for me. I haven't got my results yet but I'm pretty sure I got an A in business and maybe a B in home economics because of the textiles project. I want to hear from people who have done or are doing both subjects for the leaving please if you have any advice for meðŸ˜

Do business ,simples

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Tbh all I'm getting from your post is that you're friends are in business and you want to be with them. That's a silly way to pick your subjects. You obviously had a passion towards Home-Ec if you wanted to do Human Nutrition after school. Make more of an effort to make friends with the people in your class. I'm sure they're not horrible people who'll be cruel if you try to sit with them :P As for the teacher, it sounds like she teaches a bit like a lecturer would in college. She teaches and it's up to you to make notes and learn them. That's a valuable skill to have for university and to be honest, learning it in secondary school will stand to you in college. If I were you I'd stick with home-ec.

However, I didn't do home-ec so I can't actually comment on the course or the journal. I did do business and tbf it's not a very difficult course. There's very little accounting though. Actually there's practically none. Just the analysis of the accounts formulas and that's it really. There's no budgeting or cash flow accounts or trading, profit and loss accounts. Only the theory behind them. So it might not be of interest to you. It's all learning in business. If you learn the book inside out you'll do well but there's a lot of it! If you really can't stick home-ec, then maybe move to business. But in my opinion, I think home-ec is the better subject for you by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 acoustic guitar

Hi there,
    I completed both Home ec and Business for my Leaving Cert. I have to admit I much preferred Home ec to business. Business is mainly theory with very little calculations. I always loved accounting but it clashed with my home ec class in 5th year therefore I chose business. If you want to do business just because your friends are doing is a ridiculous reason. Follow whichever subject you have a greater passion for. For me, that passion was home economics and I actually got a better grade in home ec than business.
    You mentioned the food journal that you don't like the sounds of, well if you are willing to give it a lot of work then it is not actually that bad and now they have reduced it to 4 assignments whereas I had to do 5 assignments.
    Hope this helps:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 evelynmcn00

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Tbh all I'm getting from your post is that you're friends are in business and you want to be with them. That's a silly way to pick your subjects. You obviously had a passion towards Home-Ec if you wanted to do Human Nutrition after school. Make more of an effort to make friends with the people in your class. I'm sure they're not horrible people who'll be cruel if you try to sit with them :P As for the teacher, it sounds like she teaches a bit like a lecturer would in college. She teaches and it's up to you to make notes and learn them. That's a valuable skill to have for university and to be honest, learning it in secondary school will stand to you in college. If I were you I'd stick with home-ec.

However, I didn't do home-ec so I can't actually comment on the course or the journal. I did do business and tbf it's not a very difficult course. There's very little accounting though. Actually there's practically none. Just the analysis of the accounts formulas and that's it really. There's no budgeting or cash flow accounts or trading, profit and loss accounts. Only the theory behind them. So it might not be of interest to you. It's all learning in business. If you learn the book inside out you'll do well but there's a lot of it! If you really can't stick home-ec, then maybe move to business. But in my opinion, I think home-ec is the better subject for you by the sounds of it.

Maybe I didn't get my point across but tbh my friends don't really factor in it much because I have never been with many classes with them anyways I'm used to it. That was more of a side note I was thinking more points wise if business would be easier
    Hi there,
    I completed both Home ec and Business for my Leaving Cert. I have to admit I much preferred Home ec to business. Business is mainly theory with very little calculations. I always loved accounting but it clashed with my home ec class in 5th year therefore I chose business. If you want to do business just because your friends are doing is a ridiculous reason. Follow whichever subject you have a greater passion for. For me, that passion was home economics and I actually got a better grade in home ec than business.
    You mentioned the food journal that you don't like the sounds of, well if you are willing to give it a lot of work then it is not actually that bad and now they have reduced it to 4 assignments whereas I had to do 5 assignments.
    Hope this helps:-)

It's not because of my friends I chose to do home ec last year knowing they were doing business. It's just that a lot of people are saying that business is easier and that along with everything else has thrown me.

Advertisement