Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV over Internet

Options
  • 01-09-2016 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Looking for some info please. We live in a very isolated area with limited broadband options. We are currently using a Vodafone dongle that gives us 50Gb a month. I'm looking to install a couple of cameras outside that I can log on to and view remotely when I need to. Does linking the camera to my wireless broadband use much of my monthly allowance is my biggest concern. Also instead of just a couple of stand alone cameras could I install a proper cctv system linked back to a hard drive unit that I can still log on to remotely. Any option would have to be able to connect to our broadband wirelessly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Cctv images typically wouldn't change much as it's not like watching an action film. Also you adjust settings for resolution and intensity to reduce data transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

You will have difficulty accessing you home network because the mobile operators do not allocate a dedicated Internet address (ip). The addresses are shared by other users.
    There are methods using ftp where the home cameras can initiate a link.

Other option would be to use camera which connects to a service providers network and you log in there to view.
    Tp-link sell cameras and provide the access service free of charge. The NC220 cameras were on sale recently in Lidl for €50. Also available on Amazon. They provide real time viewing but no recording to hard drive.

As for data usage have you looked at other providers e. g 3 or Meteor who give greater data allowances? Perhaps not available in your area.

Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable here on the home security forum can give alternative solutions or you could try the broadband/midband forum for discussion on remote access to mobile
    Networks.

Advertisement