Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharp Scientific calculator EL 531 X

Options
  • 01-09-2016 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭

Old calculator failed to work yesterday - 1st day back to maths class for son. Bought the above one - EL531 X rather than EL531 W (old model).
    But he can't do simple fractions on it - the old one had button a/b and was straightforward.

this has button marked 'Ab/c' (i.e. as if 1 and a half) and even the instructions show that if you key in a fraction you get what looks like an r for remainder so when you key in 3 and then press the fraction button (which he says is what he used to do - with bigger & more complicated numbers) and then 8 you get the answer 3 r 8.

I know we must be doing something very basic wrong but can't identify what

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's not an r. It's the symbol for fraction on the sharp calculator.

The a b/c button allows for two types of fractions. If he just wants to put in 3/8 he just presses 3 Ab/c 8. And it will display as 3r 8.

If he wants to display 2 4/5 he puts in 2 Ab/c 4 Ab/c 5. It will display as 2 r 4 r 5.

The image below shows 1 1/4
    hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thank you rainbowtrout - I did suggest to my son that maybe that was not an 'r' for remainder but what would I know, I am only a mother!!!!

Thanks for the clarification.

Advertisement