Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert??

Options
  • 01-09-2016 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Will I pick business or geography? I do not really like geography but I always get A's in geography exams but I want to be an accountant and I don't really get good grades in business I get B's mostly. So which will I pick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Roisin779

Cookie201 wrote: »
    Will I pick business or geography? I do not really like geography but I always get A's in geography exams but I want to be an accountant and I don't really get good grades in business I get B's mostly. So which will I pick?
    Well I didn't do geography for the leaving cert but I heard that it is hard work. Not necessarily an easy A. I did business and while it wasn't an easy a to get once you put in the work and do lots of exam practice it's ok. If you're able to write a lot of information quickly then you really won't have a problem with business. I'd go with what you like and what you want to do in the future ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Basic Spanish ..leaving cert. I wonder is there a handy revision...help book that I could get for a 5 th year student ..who find languages difficult..thks paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I do both for leaving cert and they're both learning-heavy subjects. While geography is made up of learning of essays and srps, business involves learning lots of definitions and being able to make different evaluations on business concepts. There's also a few laws to learn for business too. Either way you'll have to be good at learning to do well in either subject. Keep in mind though that 20% of your geography result is for your project, so if you're good at investigative work and that you might prefer geography.

Neither one will have much of an impact on you going onto accountancy. The accounting in the business course is ridiculously basic. The only maths on it are 5 different ratios, break-even analysis and basic tax and insurance calculations. The course only really looks at the theory behind final accounts, etc. Won't have much of an effect on you if you wish to do Accounting.
    Basic Spanish ..leaving cert. I wonder is there a handy revision...help book that I could get for a 5 th year student ..who find languages difficult..thks paddy

Tbh I don't think Spanish is popular enough for there to be many leaving cert specific resources available for it, but I'm sure there's millions of Spanish learning resources out there that would be of benefit to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KathMcCann

My best advice to you would be not to pick a subject if you don't like it. I don't know if the grades you're referring to are from the JC but bear in mind that all LC subjects are very demanding and need a lot more commitment than the JC if you want As. Picking subjects you love is so important. When my daughter was picking her subjects the main decider for her was choosing what she liked not what she was good at. Hope this helps!

Advertisement