Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Central Heating - Cost

Options
  • 01-09-2016 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi all,

Can someone just give me a rough idea of how much this will cost. I want to put central heating in my house, I have rads and a back boiler and will need a boiler and encasement out the back and the pipework to be fitted.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

PAU wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can someone just give me a rough idea of how much this will cost. I want to put central heating in my house, I have rads and a back boiler and will need a boiler and encasement out the back and the pipework to be fitted.

Thanks.
    Hard to quote for but expect between 3-4 thousand

• Registered Users Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You also need to ensure the plumbing is done properly to deal with the BB
    http://www.systemlink.ie/knowledge-zone/schematics-database.html

also budget for a good clean out of any crap in the existing piping and rad system before u fit the new boiler

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Is it gas or oil central heating you might be looking for?? And are you hoping to keep the back boiler with the existing heating

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

Oil Heating and I hope to keep the back boiler.

Oil Heating and I hope to keep the back boiler.

Cant see much change from 5k .
    New oil tank, outdoor module , new cylinder, pipework alterations labour and vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,061 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but it got me thinking about my own heating question.

We currently have oil central heating, and a back boiler and are looking to switch to gas.

From what I can gather it will not be that big of a job, is that right? The piping is there etc just need a different burner, like switching from an oil burner to a gas one?

Am i way off in my thinking? Was hoping to get it done for between 2/3k

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but it got me thinking about my own heating question.

We currently have oil central heating, and a back boiler and are looking to switch to gas.

From what I can gather it will not be that big of a job, is that right? The piping is there etc just need a different burner, like switching from an oil burner to a gas one?

How far away is the gas mains ?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

No your spot on I reckon. You won't get it done for less than 2k but it wouldn't cost more than 3k.

Sorry to bump this thread but I have been warned off oil and told to go to GAS.The plumber says it will be roughly 2,500 to install the pipes etc which I think isn't bad, but the real reason why I'm posting, some are saying get a combi boiler and some say no need, what ye think.

Sorry to bump this thread but I have been warned off oil and told to go to GAS.The plumber says it will be roughly 2,500 to install the pipes etc which I think isn't bad, but the real reason why I'm posting, some are saying get a combi boiler and some say no need, what ye think.

How many hot draw off points do you have?

• Advertisement

Just 1.

Just 1.

You've only 1 hot tap In the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Darith

Apologies for bumping this thread. I have a timber frame house with storage heating; timber floors downstairs; wooden panels upstairs. The plumber indicated it would best to bring the pipes up the walls along the upper floor to the new cylinder and use the floors to pipe to rads. Then drop down where necessary through the studded walls to install rads downstairs. Boiler would be in the kitchen. Quote might be 10 to 10.5K. In Baileborough, cavan; would this quote be correct in anybodies opinion?

Darith wrote: »
    Apologies for bumping this thread. I have a timber frame house with storage heating; timber floors downstairs; wooden panels upstairs. The plumber indicated it would best to bring the pipes up the walls along the upper floor to the new cylinder and use the floors to pipe to rads. Then drop down where necessary through the studded walls to install rads downstairs. Boiler would be in the kitchen. Quote might be 10 to 10.5K. In Baileborough, cavan; would this quote be correct in anybodies opinion?

How many rads?
    Is he zoning the system?
    Does this include wiring?
    Which boiler is being quoted for?
    How far is the boiler from the meter box?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Ak84

Sounds like starting from scratch to install new heating system. Probably about right. But get a couple of other quotes regardless.

Five rads. Two small, others average/large. Yes two zones.Wiring; unsure about this; i presume any needed would be included. Not sure about the boiler; oil probably condensing. My ESB meter is just outside the front door. The boiler will in the kitchen nearly 25 foot away approximately.

Darith wrote: »
    Five rads. Two small, others average/large. Yes two zones.Wiring; unsure about this; i presume any needed would be included. Not sure about the boiler; oil probably condensing. My ESB meter is just outside the front door. The boiler will in the kitchen nearly 25 foot away approximately.
    Sorry I assumed it was gas. You’re gonna need to be more specific in what you’re being quoted for.

Make/model of boiler?
    Is the wiring included? Assume nothing.
    Any plumbing work for bathrooms?
    Get an outdoor boiler.
    Is the oil tank bunded?

Ok. I will get an official quote in hard copy soon to properly compare.

Got three quotes:

#1 :

9no Quinn Compact radiators, Grant Vortex 50/70,000 BTU
    oil boiler & balance flue, 1000litre Kingspan oil tank, 30 x 18 indirect copper cylinder, immersion
    heater, circulating pump, 3 channel timeclock, 2no room stat, cylinder stat, timeclock for immersion
    heater, Base for oil tank, all electrical works.
    All rooms will have thermostatic rad valves except where room stats are.
    Divide system into 3 no zones:
    1. Downstairs
    2. Upstairs
    3.Hot Water
    Labour & Materials
    6,720.00 + Vat
    All works to SEAI & Electric Ireland Standards for Grants

#2:

Supply and fit
    C26 condensing oil boiler
    950 litre oil tank with oil line and tiger loop
    Single coil insulated copper cylinder
    Upstairs and downstairs heating zones
    Five radiators upstairs and three radiators downstairs
    Wiring of zones and time switch
    Alupex pipe used from boiler to cylinder and to all radiators

Labour and materials including vat @ 13.5% €8440

#3:

Net 10,520 + vat 13.5%.

No. 3 was hard copy and a bit high. No. 1 said i would be entitled to a grant but no.2 indicated he might be able to claim on the grant. Seems like #1 to me, ?

Quote 1. Simply because they’re using a grant vortex. I’d pay a the extra and go with a bundled oil tank

• Advertisement
Advertisement