Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet choice for college

Options
  • 01-09-2016 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭

I'm starting a Masters course soon and want to get a tablet instead of carting my 17" laptop in and out.

I'm fairly budget restricted so am preferably looking for something €100 or less. It'll just be used for basic note taking and Microsoft Word, and some browsing & reading for research. From what I've read, about 10" screen (with a keyboard) is recommended for typing.

AliExpress seems to have a few options and I've bought tonnes of stuff off it, but nothing electronic or of big value.

What would you guys recommend?

Comments

I'm starting a Masters course soon and want to get a tablet instead of carting my 17" laptop in and out.

I'm fairly budget restricted so am preferably looking for something €100 or less. It'll just be used for basic note taking and Microsoft Word, and some browsing & reading for research. From what I've read, about 10" screen (with a keyboard) is recommended for typing.

AliExpress seems to have a few options and I've bought tonnes of stuff off it, but nothing electronic or of big value.

What would you guys recommend?

Slightly outside your budget, but much more functional for the price. Tablets aren't very useful, in reality.

Lenovo N22 11.6-Inch HD Chromebook Laptop (Black) - (Intel Celeron N3060, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB EMMC, Chrome OS) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GCNZ79C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_xigYxb7C9PMTG

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

From what I've read, about 10" screen (with a keyboard) is recommended for typing.

I would strongly dispute that.

Before you buy, try out the keyboards. Any I have tried are flimsy and really only suited to typing out brief emails. I ended up buying the Microsoft Surface Pro and even the keyboard on that is terribly flimsy (I acknowledge that is way out of your budget, but I am just giving it for comparison).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

That Lenovo is a great shout actually, thank you.

A mate of mine recommended the ASUS X205TA: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B015OG3GM8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472778208&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=asus+x205ta&dpPl=1&dpID=41orMpKHECL&ref=plSrch

I'm already thinking that a notebook or Chromebook is a better choice than a tablet, as mentioned above.

Thoughts on the above notebook compared to the Lenovo, or any other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Afaik Microsoft Word isn't available on chrome os.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

That Lenovo is a great shout actually, thank you.

A mate of mine recommended the ASUS X205TA: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B015OG3GM8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472778208&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=asus+x205ta&dpPl=1&dpID=41orMpKHECL&ref=plSrch

I'm already thinking that a notebook or Chromebook is a better choice than a tablet, as mentioned above.

Thoughts on the above notebook compared to the Lenovo, or any other options?

That Asus looks pretty cool, but wouldn't know much about it. It seems to have decent reviews.
    Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Afaik Microsoft Word isn't available on chrome os.

You can use word, excel etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Basil3 wrote: »

You can use word, excel etc.

You can use the Web versions, not quite the same as the desktop versions. You'd be better served by gDocs and gSheets in that scenario.

Cheers everyone.

Got a great deal on the Asus Vivobook on BT Shop, £30 less than Amazon! Only £150 delivered.

Here's the link for the laptop on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AWHN1Q0/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_KgFYxbRG74GN4

Have you received it yet? IMHO that machine will be nothing but pain. Running full blown windows on a 2W processor...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ED E wrote: »
    Have you received it yet? IMHO that machine will be nothing but pain. Running full blown windows on a 2W processor...

And 2Gb of RAM? Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

For Word, PowerPoint, simple browsing and reading pdfs and the like it will be absolutely grand. It'll struggle with too many windows open simultaneously so watch out for that.

It's remarkable what you can get for such little money in laptops right now.

• Advertisement

For Word, PowerPoint, simple browsing and reading pdfs and the like it will be absolutely grand. It'll struggle with too many windows open simultaneously so watch out for that.

It's remarkable what you can get for such little money in laptops right now.

Have to disagree there.

Family member runs W10 on a Celeron N2830 which is arguably faster (better SCP) and even that has horrendous boot times and is overall a pain to do anything. In this price bracket a good android tablet on ARM is much better than the worst of the X86/desktop OS market.

So far so good anyways. It's not my main work laptop so it really is just for basic word processing, reading papers, college work and the like.

It's also beautifully light, has a whopper battery life, excellent keyboard.

Advertisement