Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7950 upgrade to 1060

Options
  • 01-09-2016 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Looking at upgrades for my pc at the moment, upgraded everything but the GPU last year and hoping to upgrade it in the next few weeks.

Currently I'm torn between a Rx 480 8gb and gtx 1060 6gb. I mainly play reports type games but I enjoy the odd high demand game like the Witcher 3 and project cars. Anyone have a recommendation on what I should get? Seen an Asus 1060 for £239 on Amazon, cheapest I've found yet. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Are you playing 1080p? If yes, then 4gb rx480 nitro would do you great. Its best bang for the money right now for 1080p gaming.
    It's up to you if it's worth spending extra on 1060.

Are you playing 1080p? If yes, then 4gb rx480 nitro would do you great. Its best bang for the money right now for 1080p gaming.
    It's up to you if it's worth spending extra on 1060.

Future proofing. 1080 is dead (or at least terminal)

Future proofing. 1080 is dead (or at least terminal)

Future proofing is dead.

These days you better off buying good bang for the money that is working great for 2-3 years cycle, then unload it and get best bang for the money again.

Op did not specify what resolution he is playing or the rest of his system. He did not mentioned of he even going to go 1440p. My speculation is that he is looking for 1080p gaming. He mentioned 7950 and technically his budget in a shape of rx480 or 1060.

Nothing wrong with 1080p and it's still solid resolution to play. Only enthusiast going for 1440p and 144hz these days. No point for op spending double the money on 1080 or 1070 if he is playing now 1080p and he just might someday upgrade to higher resolution. By the time he decides to go for it, there will be better solution or at least cheaper solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Sorry, I thought I mentioned i'll only be playing in 1080p/60fps in the last post. In a year or two i'll probably spring for a 144Hz monitor mainly for CS:GO and possibly some Rocket League. I have no interest in VR at the moment either.

My system has an i5 6600k, can't remember the type of RAM but it's DDR4 anyway.

TheSegal wrote: »
    Sorry, I thought I mentioned i'll only be playing in 1080p/60fps in the last post. In a year or two i'll probably spring for a 144Hz monitor mainly for CS:GO and possibly some Rocket League. I have no interest in VR at the moment either.

My system has an i5 6600k, can't remember the type of RAM but it's DDR4 anyway.

Okay so, all of what I said before still stands. rx480 4gb > rx480 8gb >1060.

If you on the budget get rx480 nitro 4gb. Its great little cracker for 1080p.

Other option and some people wont agree with it, but its food for though. You could get rx480 8gb now and in two years when you ripe for 1440p you could pick up second rx480. By that time prices of those will be very low and plenty on adverts. It would be very cheap upgrade for 1440p. Yes, you will have to deal with multy gpu issues in some cases, but at that point it will be very cheap to get second hand card and give it a go. If you wont like the experience, you can always flog them both at adverts.

I have myself 1060, but I dont think its worth the money and limitations it has over rx480.

• Advertisement

Future proofing is dead.

These days you better off buying good bang for the money that is working great for 2-3 years cycle, then unload it and get best bang for the money again.

Op did not specify what resolution he is playing or the rest of his system. He did not mentioned of he even going to go 1440p. My speculation is that he is looking for 1080p gaming. He mentioned 7950 and technically his budget in a shape of rx480 or 1060.

Nothing wrong with 1080p and it's still solid resolution to play. Only enthusiast going for 1440p and 144hz these days. No point for op spending double the money on 1080 or 1070 if he is playing now 1080p and he just might someday upgrade to higher resolution. By the time he decides to go for it, there will be better solution or at least cheaper solution.

And if he buys a new tv/monitor in 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Bollocks to that Shadow, a single 480 is well fit to push 144hz or 1440p (probably not both mind).

I think a 4gb 480 is a good call now OP, will carry you at 1080p for a couple of years, and should still be 1440p capable when/if you upgrade. If you get 1440p144 then either drop settings and keep the 480 or get a 500 series or an Nvidia 1070 or 1080 then.

And if he buys a new tv/monitor in 6 months?

If he would have wheels, he would be a bus.

I planned on getting 2560x1080 monitor for the last 3 years, plan was to get it this or next week, but due to my holidays now and going with misses to dublin next week its pushed back again.
    There are always ifs, but if I leanred one thing when it comes to pcs. Dont plan **** until you have money in your hand and you certain you going for it.

Bollocks to that Shadow, a single 480 is well fit to push 144hz or 1440p (probably not both mind).

I think a 4gb 480 is a good call now OP, will carry you at 1080p for a couple of years, and should still be 1440p capable when/if you upgrade. If you get 1440p144 then either drop settings and keep the 480 or get a 500 series or an Nvidia 1070 or 1080 then.

I presume you right, 1440p is possible with rx480 and at pretty decent level. not solid maxed out 60, but with few compromises it would be a very plesent experience.

Advertisement