Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cigarette lighter socket - help please!

Options
  • 01-09-2016 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi all, I've somehow managed to do damage to the cigarette lighter socket in my VW Golf. I was putting in a mobile phone adapter and noticed my phone wasn't charging. When I looked into the socket I saw a spring loose (see attached photo). I removed it and foolishly put in the actual cigarette lighter which is now stuck in there in the depressed position. Can anyone advise how I might get it out and get it working again?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

You might need to pry it out with something. A small screwdriver will probably scratch the cigarette lighter plastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭4odh4n

my guess would be the spring rattling about in there will have shorted out the power and blown the fuse. spring looks like one out of a charger of some sort? if you replace the fuse (on the 07 model its on the flat side of the dash when drivers door is open) the cigarette lighter should pop up once it has heated up to temperature. Make sure key is removed when replacing fuse, and if the lighter doesn't pop when you turn the power on you will be better removing the fuse again and try prying it out

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭SomeDude

4odh4n wrote: »
    my guess would be the spring rattling about in there will have shorted out the power and blown the fuse. spring looks like one out of a charger of some sort?

I think it's from a charger that I was using to power my laptop. I found the attached bits on the floor. My Golf is a 2012 model. I'll try replacing the fuse as you suggested. Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

The last picture you sent

The spring goes over the fuse and there should be a small metal nipple that goes into the threaded metal piece and thats probablt come off and is jammed in there

Try get the lighter thingy out I wouldnt use a screwdriver personally as you'll make clean sh!t of it you can get a plastic tweezers or similar in dealz and that should get it out.

After that it would be a matte rof replacing a fuse i'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

shietpilot wrote: »
    You might need to pry it out with something. A small screwdriver will probably scratch the cigarette lighter plastics.

If you do it right you won't damage it. Use a very small screw driver initially, work your way round and take your time.

I've had to do this countless times in the past

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

SomeDude wrote: »
    I think it's from a charger that I was using to power my laptop. I found the attached bits on the floor. My Golf is a 2012 model. I'll try replacing the fuse as you suggested. Thanks for the advice!

Give it a hoover then as well jaysus

Advertisement