Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever flown with a desktop?

Options
  • 01-09-2016 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

So I built my own linux desktop last year and I'm a little bit attached to it at this stage. After spending a fair bit of time selecting the components and putting it together (it was my first build) I'd love to bring it with me as I move from the US to Ireland. Does anyone have any experience taking their machine with them on a flight? I can't put it in checked luggage for fear of it getting smashed by the baggage handlers but maybe I could take it apart and bring all the pieces with me (except the case of course).

Am I crazy? Will TSA freak out at all the electronics?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Pack it well and send by courier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I flew from the uk to Ireland with mine.

Took all components out and wrapped them in bubble wrap and put them between clothes in my suitcase.

Put the case through excess baggage and they were fine with it. Put fragile stickers all over it (they did) and baggage handlers were fine.

Not a scratch or dent on it when it arrived.

But coming from US might be different.
    Might be best to wrap it up properly and send it via courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

I would eBay the case and get a new one over here. My only experience of transporting a full tower desktop case through a courier it arrived bashed all over. The other components would be fine wrapped in lots of bubble wrap and packed inside sturdy cardboard boxes. Perhaps you could carry a box of the more fragile parts, say motherboard and graphics card in your hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rainbow_beard

thanks for all the suggestions. It's a bit expensive to ship it and I don't trust everything to arrive intact so I think I'll go with dismantling all the pieces and packing everything but the case. Wish I held onto all the packaging now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

thanks for all the suggestions. It's a bit expensive to ship it and I don't trust everything to arrive intact so I think I'll go with dismantling all the pieces and packing everything but the case. Wish I held onto all the packaging now!

Anti static bags and bubble wrap in t-shirts! Can get v creative with where you put the parts!

hard drives / gpu could nearly go carry on in a backpack.

• Advertisement
Advertisement