Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eve Online - Free to Play

Options
  • 31-08-2016 11:29pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With all the talk being around space MMOs these days it's good to know that the old reliable is still kicking.

We used to have an EVE forum I think and then just a thread in the Mass Multiplayer forum but I thought that this news deserved a little advertisement.

From November EVE will have a free-to-play option where you are limited to Tier I ships and anything else will require a subscription or a Plex.

Personally I'm at that 2 year dip where I wonder why I stopped playing Eve in the first place and need a quick dip to remind me why I left in the first place :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

always wanted to try it but felt it wold be too much of a time sink

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Skerries wrote: »
    always wanted to try it but felt it wold be too much of a time sink

It is.

It's also grindy as all hell and even 0.0 combat is an exhausting chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I haven't played in years, I have three capital ships somewhere in 0.0 space, 250 bpo's and 5-10 billion liquid cash. The game can be a massive time sink and later game takes too much time. Anyone thinking of playing should enjoy the early tier ships a much as possible as the more expensive ones can be less fun overall. Interested to see how this will work for older players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

amazing game to read about, the way the playerbase have evolved into all the various factions with various roles - fighting, trade, transport, spying, manufacturing and all the drama that goes on in nullsec. true sandbox. but you need a lot of time on your hands to get into all the cool meta stuff.

i'd recommend trying it to anyone for free though, first few weeks i played this game was amazing. until i found myself stopping playing waiting for skills to train so i could do what i wanted to do. also realising i wouldn't be starting any wars that make the mainstream news!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I dipped in and out to it. Though pretty noobish.

Did a lot mining when started. It is grindy, but I loved it. Was fun to see your character starting in small frig, then looking for some other ship that you could convert to mining ship ( no ore mining frigs back then), transporting your ore to be sold. It was so inefficient, but it was so much fun. You would be always scared to get blown up, where in reality you were so small fish that no one cared about you.

I quit at one point, then got back to do pve. Doing NPC missions. During then I got in and out a few times of game. Got myself really well established. Until one day... And every eve player got that "**** day"... When they get too cocky amd greedy. Then full retarded... I did one of those big missions, can't remember how it was called. "world collide" maybe? Long story short: went in with pimped out nightmare and got jammed in one room before could do anything. Boom! Over 1bil worth ship gone. Got so annoyed so I took out my navy issue apocalypse, fully pimped out to try and salvage at least something. Boom! Another 1bil++ gone. So in a mater of 10minutes I lost over 2bill. That's when plex was 500mil... So pretty much 80quid worth of my property went pop.
    Got so pissed off, went for a smoke, well, maybe 3 chain smokes. :D
    Maybe after an hour brake I decided I am done with missions. To that day I was only few times in low sec. Yes, yes I was high sec Rich carebare. :)
    I got myself exploration frig and started exploration training. Right in to low sec and mull sec. I discovered a brand new game for myself. For a week I was running away from everyone in hostile territory, hidding, scanning, exploring. Always having adrenaline rush if I had a hull full of phat loot and in the middle of nowhere hehe. Or wormhole explorations. Those were fun lol, I never knew I can spam mouse click so fast as o did on d scan. :D
    Next thing I know I was invited in to faction warfare with great bunch of lads. Learned solo roaming and small gang warfare. Discovered another part of game and permanently moved in to low sec.
    Unfortunately life became hectic, with career going from stand still, new misses and moving in with her. Barely had time even to play. I though I will tale a break for 2 months and get back, unfortunately it's over half a year. :(
    Would love to get back, but I barely got time to play as is. :(

Legendary game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

faction warfare was great craic. especially if you got one of the veteran fleet commanders who really roleplayed it up.

also had an enjoyable career as a ninja looter, made crazy money for a noob, was a really absorbing job - you had to check the map and find a high traffic system with lots of level 4 mission runners, get there and scan with probes until you found a particular type of ship, zip in and hope to f@ck the rats were taken care of or the mission runner didn't come back to shoot you for stealing his wrecks. some people even went further and baited the mission runner so they attack first, then swapping out for your pvp ship and blasting them up with no penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So id imagine all the starter packs etc might be going really cheap at the moment with this going f2p. Ive always thought this is a game i should try so im wondering would it be worth buying any of the packs now before it goes free to play and get a headstart.

Any of the vets think thats a good idea or should i just wait till november?

Im pretty much done with No Mans Sky at this point so need to get a space hit somewhere else!

EoinHef wrote: »
    So id imagine all the starter packs etc might be going really cheap at the moment with this going f2p. Ive always thought this is a game i should try so im wondering would it be worth buying any of the packs now before it goes free to play and get a headstart.

Any of the vets think thats a good idea or should i just wait till november?

Im pretty much done with No Mans Sky at this point so need to get a space hit somewhere else!

Oh man, you will be opening a very scary door for yourself. Eve is fantastic, but it is fantastic if you are a gamer who makes his own entertainment and properly understands the definition of sandbox game. Its like marmite, some people love it, some completely hate it. In this game you will actually be watching so many videos and reading guides amd decide what you want to do.

Now with those starter packs... Sometimes they are not a great deal as you think. The **** you get with it is pretty much useless.
    In most cases it's better to start free trial, for. Ew accounts they have a very good deal. Something like 3 months sub for 2 month price. So you pretty much get 3.5months ( add 14 days trial) for price of 2 months. In the end it works out better deal then that starter pack.

Oh man, you will be opening a very scary door for yourself. Eve is fantastic, but it is fantastic if you are a gamer who makes his own entertainment and properly understands the definition of sandbox game. Its like marmite, some people love it, some completely hate it. In this game you will actually be watching so many videos and reading guides amd decide what you want to do.

Now with those starter packs... Sometimes they are not a great deal as you think. The **** you get with it is pretty much useless.
    In most cases it's better to start free trial, for. Ew accounts they have a very good deal. Something like 3 months sub for 2 month price. So you pretty much get 3.5months ( add 14 days trial) for price of 2 months. In the end it works out better deal then that starter pack.

Cheers bud,i reckon ill try the trial then and see how i get on. Its a game thats ive noticed from a distance but im not into subscription based stuff so always passed it up. If it grabs me ill know to try it out again in november.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Cheers bud,i reckon ill try the trial then and see how i get on. Its a game thats ive noticed from a distance but im not into subscription based stuff so always passed it up. If it grabs me ill know to try it out again in november.

In fairness, that's one game I did not minded paying sub for. They do it really well. You don't need to buy game or expansions. Want to play? Get sub or trial. That's it. You got back after not playing for 2 years and there are 3 expansions out and 5 billion changes? Cool, just sub amd off you go.
    To be honest I am a bit afraid of this new free to play model. It will brake game balance. Even just too of my head: you cam make 5 free characters And use them as free scouts and cannon fodder. in game like this information is actually one of the most important recourses. People would pay subs just to have extra account to be a scout. Now you can have 10 of them for free.

• Advertisement

In fairness, that's one game I did not minded paying sub for. They do it really well. You don't need to buy game or expansions. Want to play? Get sub or trial. That's it. You got back after not playing for 2 years and there are 3 expansions out and 5 billion changes? Cool, just sub amd off you go.
    To be honest I am a bit afraid of this new free to play model. It will brake game balance. Even just too of my head: you cam make 5 free characters And use them as free scouts and cannon fodder. in game like this information is actually one of the most important recourses. People would pay subs just to have extra account to be a scout. Now you can have 10 of them for free.

I know what you mean,going free to play is not always a good thing. It all depends on the model they use i suppose. Thats cool that the expansions are just included,that would be a nice easy way to make money but keeping the player base together must be more important to them. I think i read there will still be an option for the sub so if you want to keep playing the game the way it is you can just continue the sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

There's a lot of talk that CCP don't want people to ensure simultaneously logged in with all their new free accounts as it would just encourge botting, so wouldn't be surprised if multiboxing is prevented on alpha accounts, just like with current trial accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

There's a lot of talk that CCP don't want people to ensure simultaneously logged in with all their new free accounts as it would just encourge botting, so wouldn't be surprised if multiboxing is prevented on alpha accounts, just like with current trial accounts.

Not at the moment though. One good thing is if you return and are in space, you can still use the ship. It just puts things offline.
    You can't use cyno's on the alphas though, which always pissed me off as you had to have a second account to jump your own ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

oh no i cant go near eve last time i got hooked and didnt see daylight for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I tried this during one of there one month free offers.

It was fun, complex and vast. But i knew very quickly it's one of those games, you would have to sink hundreds of hours into it to get anywhere decent, so I knew it was not for me.

Advertisement