Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA- Part time work during academic year to be means tested

Options
  • 31-08-2016 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

More changes to BTEA!!!

Just came across some info on citizens advice that states BTEA to be means tested during the academic year starting 2016/17.

Anyone else hear about this?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html
    "From the 2016/2017 academic year, people getting BTEA who take up work during the academic year will have means from work assessed under the rules that apply to their primary payment (the payment they qualified for BTEA from).
    Previously part-time work during the academic year did not affect the rate of BTEA paid"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Moomat wrote: »
    More changes to BTEA!!!

Just came across some info on citizens advice that states BTEA to be means tested during the academic year starting 2016/17.

Anyone else hear about this?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html
    "From the 2016/2017 academic year, people getting BTEA who take up work during the academic year will have means from work assessed under the rules that apply to their primary payment (the payment they qualified for BTEA from).
    Previously part-time work during the academic year did not affect the rate of BTEA paid"

Yes. It's on the correspondence for folks continuing this year (2016/2017).

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Yes. It's on the correspondence for folks continuing this year (2016/2017).

I'm continuing myself but didn't have any details in the correspondence I received. Could be a nasty surprise if you found out after working a while that it should of been means tested.

What does the correspondence say?

I'm continuing myself but didn't have any details in the correspondence I received. Could be a nasty surprise if you found out after working a while that it should of been means tested.

What does the correspondence say?

Just what you said above will apply to 2016/2017 and to let the social welfare know if you are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 flashback humour

This only applies to new applicants this year. If you were getting back to education allowance last year then you can still work part time during academic year without having those earning taken in to account.

This only applies to new applicants this year. If you were getting back to education allowance last year then you can still work part time during academic year without having those earning taken in to account.

Are you sure about that? Have you a link to confirm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 flashback humour

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? Have you a link to confirm?

Google "Back to education changes 2016", the second link in the search results should be a PDF file from welfare.ie - Back to Education Allowance Scheme Changes from Apr 1st 2016 .

It clearly states:

7. PART-TIME WORK
    From 2016/17 all new BTEA participants who engage in part-time work while engaged with BTEA should be assessed in accordance with the primary payment.
    JA BTEA participants approved for the 2013/14, 2014/15 and 2015/16 academic years may engage in part-time employment after the course commences without affecting their rate of payment providing the work does not interfere with college attendance.

Google "Back to education changes 2016", the second link in the search results should be a PDF file from welfare.ie - Back to Education Allowance Scheme Changes from Apr 1st 2016 .

It clearly states:

7. PART-TIME WORK
    From 2016/17 all new BTEA participants who engage in part-time work while engaged with BTEA should be assessed in accordance with the primary payment.
    JA BTEA participants approved for the 2013/14, 2014/15 and 2015/16 academic years may engage in part-time employment after the course commences without affecting their rate of payment providing the work does not interfere with college attendance.

Thanks for posting, just read pdf. That's a relief! Very hard on new entrants though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

If what im told is correct, the means test only applys to rent supplement and fuel allowance, and not the actual btea paymeny. which makes it less harsh.

empacher wrote: »
    If what im told is correct, the means test only applys to rent supplement and fuel allowance, and not the actual btea paymeny. which makes it less harsh.

Doesn't look like that from the PDF that the other poster linked to. They do mention those payments but state that although current BTEA'ers are not subject to the means test, part time work may still affect rent and fuel allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Yeah the pdf doesnt give alot of information either. It would be nice if they posted rates. i.e earn 100 without effecting anything, 120 this deduction, 150 this deduction.

I've got a part time job sorted. But id like to know what sort of hours to ask for.

• Advertisement

empacher wrote: »
    Yeah the pdf doesnt give alot of information either. It would be nice if they posted rates. i.e earn 100 without effecting anything, 120 this deduction, 150 this deduction.

I've got a part time job sorted. But id like to know what sort of hours to ask for.

You'd have to see how the payment that allowed you get BTEA is assessed. For example, if you were on Jobseekers Allowance, it appears that you will be assessed on the same basis. I believe on JA you must be unemployed for 4 from consecutive days per week and a set amount is deducted in relation to time worked, not income earned. I may be wrong but that's my understanding of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Hi I'm final year student have been getting BTEA for past few years. I work part time and have just been informed by BtEA that I am going to be means tested I asked them does that not only apply to new entrants and she said no? Can anyone help?

Newport81 wrote: »
    Hi I'm final year student have been getting BTEA for past few years. I work part time and have just been informed by BtEA that I am going to be means tested I asked them does that not only apply to new entrants and she said no? Can anyone help?

Were you working part time over the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Were you working part time over the summer?

No I wasn't

No I wasn't

How long have you been employed in the part time job?

If you did not start the academic year with the part time job then you shouldn't be means tested.

No I wasn't

Hmmm, that's strange that they want to means test you. I know if you were working part time over the summer, they would take your average means over the previous 8 weeks when assessing your BTEA. If you went straight back on to BTEA from another full payment you should be ok, based on their guideline. Perhaps show them the circular linked to in this thread.

Advertisement