Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New €800 Build for Windows Gaming using Linux KVM

Options
  • 31-08-2016 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

My current pc (a 3rd gen intel i5 laptop with an igpu) is well past the point where it can no longer do what I want, so I am looking to build a new desktop to replace it.

I want to build a pc capable of running new release at high setting and 60fps.

However, I much prefer using Linux for non-gaming stuff, and dual booting is a pain, so I want to set up kernel level virtualisiation with a VGA passthrough.

This means I need two gpus, a dedicated one for the VGA passthrough, and another GPU (probably integrated) for Linux. The motherboard bios also needs to support VT-d (Skylake q170 & z170 motherboards have support at the manufacturers discretion)

The Linux (I)GPU should be able to support two monitors 1080p monitors.

I would also like to try overclocking.

1. What is your budget? €800.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (Source Engine Games, Mount and Blade: Bannerlord (when it comes out), (the new) Doom, Just Cause 2/3, Kerbal Space Program, Fallout 4)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? 2Tb 2.5” Hard drive, Case.

5. Do you need a monitor? No.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/a

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920X1080. In the future I plan on getting a secondary monitor, which will be 1920x1080 at best.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wireless Card

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes, I would prefer to overclock, but i haven't overclocked before.

8. How can you pay? Preferably Paypal.

9. When are you purchasing? I will be purchasing as soon as I have a build put together, unless there is reason to wait.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I don't need help building it.

Thank in advance for any help/advice.

Comments

Advertisement