Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-using route numbers?

Options
  • 31-08-2016 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭

Is it common for a number from a recently cancelled route to be re-used for another one?

I did a double-take when I spotted a 410 bus yesterday .. then I realised that it was in Salthill, and a City Direct bus to boot.

Until May this year, 410 was for Bus Éireann buses to Oranmore. Now it seems that City Direct have re-started a Salthill service, to replace the route 413 that they cancelled in 2012-ish.

I can understand why they didn't want to use 413 (think it's nuts, but undersand that some people are just weird about it) - but re-using a number so soon seems strange.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,551 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Reasonably so, yes - route numbers have been re-used in Dublin quite often and sometimes almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

I would love if the NTA could have a consistent approach to route numbers in Dublin.

Something like:

Very low numbers for Luas and DART
    10-100 for urban services
    100+ for express and Airport services

Get rid of all suffixes like 'X' as they are just confusing.

Would make it much simpler for the tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Is it common for a number from a recently cancelled route to be re-used for another one?

I did a double-take when I spotted a 410 bus yesterday .. then I realised that it was in Salthill, and a City Direct bus to boot.

Until May this year, 410 was for Bus Éireann buses to Oranmore. Now it seems that City Direct have re-started a Salthill service, to replace the route 413 that they cancelled in 2012-ish.

I can understand why they didn't want to use 413 (think it's nuts, but undersand that some people are just weird about it) - but re-using a number so soon seems strange.
    There have been a few "re-used" on Dublin's Network DiWrecked (and prior), such as "8" for the Dalkey route (after the infrequent 7D was re-routed from the former route 8, and the current 8 was re-routed into upper Monkstown, Glenageary and northern Sallynoggin), "9" for the former 19 (originally on the North Circular Road route), "47" for the current Belarmine route via Stepaside, Sandyford, Leopardstown, Stillorgan, Mount Merrion, Sandymount, Ringsend et al (formerly on the route to Whitechurch that was the 15C for a long while), "61" to Whitechurch/Rockbrook (restored to its old route via Churchtown in part ironically, via Dundrum Road rather than Lower Churchtown Road); and even the number "145" was re-used as the newer Bray route from Dublin city centre/Heuston Station, taken from a former local Bray service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭holly44

Bray Head wrote: »

Don't agree with that.
    When they first started to use the Xpress service passengers would get on in town and try and get off at non approved stops, today everyone knows they are limited stop services and are hugely popular.
    Why are they popular? Speed, passengers don't mind paying a little bit extra and having to walk a little further from the stop to get to work/home. They just want a fast bus in and out of town.
    Proof if ever was needed there are too many bus stops in use on routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

I think integrating the entire express way and rural and non-dublin city bus routes into one numbering system is draft though.

You need bus numbering for a given metropolitan area. What the hell a Cork City urban bus route is doing in the same numbering system as a rural route in Donegal is beyond me.

It's just not done anywhere else I've ever been and it's a bit unnecessary to put it mildly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Bray Head wrote: »
    I would love if the NTA could have a consistent approach to route numbers in Dublin.

Something like:

Very low numbers for Luas and DART
    10-100 for urban services
    100+ for express and Airport services

Would make it much simpler for the tourists.
    I'm not sure how changing a 33x to a 330 would make it simpler.
    I'm also not sure that we should be designing out public transit for foreigners, rather than the people who live here...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm also not sure that we should be designing out public transit for foreigners, rather than the people who live here...

Because tourism is a pretty important sector in our economy? :rolleyes:

fyi, plenty of foreigners live here. Plenty of Irish people don't, but come as tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Because tourism is a pretty important sector in our economy? :rolleyes:

fyi, plenty of foreigners live here. Plenty of Irish people don't, but come as tourists.
    I phrased that badly. I meant people who live abroad, in foreign countries, vs people who live here.

The non-tourism sector of our economy is vastly bigger than the tourism sector. and the public transport using tourism section of our economy is smaller still( excluding the method of public transport to actually get to Ireland )

Advertisement