Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 'nice' paint for doors, skirting and architraves

Options
  • 31-08-2016 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I've decided to go with 4 panel primed doors and deal skirting and architraves for my new build. Can anyone suggest some good paints to look out for? I'd like an off white and one that's wipe-able, especially for the doors. Also any good websites to help would be great. Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

BarneyMc wrote: »
    I've decided to go with 4 panel primed doors and deal skirting and architraves for my new build. Can anyone suggest some good paints to look out for? I'd like an off white and one that's wipe-able, especially for the doors. Also any good websites to help would be great. Thanks!

"Almost white" or "French White" from Colourtrend in Satinwood finish aways look well.

But everyone will have there own take on colours

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I have french white as well and am pleases with the finished product. I can't remember the brand but it has a shellac in it, thats what the guy in pat mcdonnells recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Another one here for Colortrend French White

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

I spoke with a guy today who spray paints doors, skirting, etc. He said the best way to spray paint all is to allow the carpenter fit all. Then he (the painter) comes in and sprays the skirting, architraves etc. The doors are, however, removed from the frames, taken to the workshop and sprayed there, then taken back and hung by the painter. Does this sound right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I spoke with a guy today who spray paints doors, skirting, etc. He said the best way to spray paint all is to allow the carpenter fit all. Then he (the painter) comes in and sprays the skirting, architraves etc. The doors are, however, removed from the frames, taken to the workshop and sprayed there, then taken back and hung by the painter. Does this sound right?

While fully appreciating that everyone will have there own way of doing things.
    I can't understand why anyone would spray skirting and door frames etc, by the time walls and floors are masked up, and ironmongery taken off, sprayer set up and even to clean up after, and you would have it painted, assuming that they're a professional painter.
    Each to there own I suppose.

I personally don't know any painter that does it this way.

• Advertisement

Would it be best to have the skirting painted before it's fitted? 2 coats or 1 (I'm using primed MDF)?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭PANDDDKP

Would it be best to have the skirting painted before it's fitted? 2 coats or 1 (I'm using primed MDF)?

If it's already primed try and give it another coat before it's nailed down. Then give it a final coat after the carpenter has fixed it because with nail holes, caulk and hand marks it'll need a coat when it's down anyways.

PANDDDKP wrote: »
    If it's already primed try and give it another coat before it's nailed down. Then give it a final coat after the carpenter has fixed it because with nail holes, caulk and hand marks it'll need a coat when it's down anyways.

When you say another do you mean the final paint. Then another final paint after it's installed?

Just off the phone with a Colourtrend supplier and they recommend an undercoat followed by the final eggshell coat. Seems like overkill as the MDF is already primed. Would a coat of eggshell before and after fitting not be sufficient (which I think is what you refer to here)?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭PANDDDKP

When you say another do you mean the final paint. Then another final paint after it's installed?

Just off the phone with a Colourtrend supplier and they recommend an undercoat followed by the final eggshell coat. Seems like overkill as the MDF is already primed. Would a coat of eggshell before and after fitting not be sufficient (which I think is what you refer to here)?

If the priming it received before you bought it is in good order, ie not too dirty, and presuming you're sticking to a light colour as a finish coat, then you will get away with 2 coats of egg shell without having to use any undercoat.

Apply the first coat of eggshell now, and the 2nd coat after the timber is fixed by the carpenter.

Just off the phone with Deanta who supplied the doors, skirting and architraves. Their primed doors now come in French White and one coat of paint is now sufficient!

Regarding the skirting, they advised to apply an undercoat and then the finished egg shell. I suppose 2 x eggshell would work also but the undercoat is slightly cheaper so might just go down that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

A good quality oil-based undercoat has fillers in it that increase its "hiding power" and is the ideal base for a finish coat, much better than primer alone. The undercoat will help balance out surface irregularities and blemishes, plus it can be lightly sanded before glossing. Much easier to apply one undercoat followed by gloss/ finish coat than trying to apply 2 gloss top coats (undercoat can be applied more quickly, not so prone to drips etc). Undercoat is pretty cheap in comparison, I paid €9.95 for 1 litre Dulux white undercoat at the weekend.

Advertisement