Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

skiing with a "bad back"

• 31-08-2016 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

I'm not looking for medical advice on this one, but do any of the skiers on here have known disc issues but continue to ski away?

I've two degenerated discs - only MRI'd this year - my physio still doesn't know how I had been on the slopes only two weeks prior to them being diagnosed. So I had obviously skied with them in that state earlier this year - just I didn't know about them!

I asked the Neurosurgeon about getting back to skiing once recuperated and his reply: "We don't like to put restrictions on people"

thanks,
    -Coley.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

coley wrote: »
    I'm not looking for medical advice on this one, but do any of the skiers on here have known disc issues but continue to ski away?

I've two degenerated discs - only MRI'd this year - my physio still doesn't know how I had been on the slopes only two weeks prior to them being diagnosed. So I had obviously skied with them in that state earlier this year - just I didn't know about them!

I asked the Neurosurgeon about getting back to skiing once recuperated and his reply: "We don't like to put restrictions on people"

thanks,
    -Coley.

Degenerated disks is a fancy term for wear and tear... I was 'diagnosed' with that 10 years ago..

Depends how severe the wear is...

You can't be expected to wrap yourself up in cotton wool. Ask for qualified advice and weigh it up against how you feel yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

coley wrote: »

thanks,
    -Coley.

Ultimately a combination of listening to medical advice from professionals and listening to your own body.

It may cause restrictions in how hard you can go but I am sure with appropriate management and terrain choices hopefully you could manage to ski, for a very long time. Also might be worth talking to a ski instructor to see if some small technique improvements might help too

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement