Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud gaming from Liquid Sky

Options
  • 31-08-2016 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Run PC games and programs on any device without a computer using LiquidSky (Beta).
    Compatible with PC and Android.

All features are built into your SkyComputer when you access it from any device and are included in the Free Trial, Pay-As-You-Go Plan and our Gamer Monthly Plan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭KrakityJones

There was another company doing this before - OnLive, wonder if it's the same crowd.

It never really took off for them though, despite them pumping a fortune into it. I used it for about 2 months and it did work really well, latency etc wasn't a big deal and the video quality was spot on. For me though it didn't suit as I tend to focus on one game only at a time and could take me months to finish as I don't have much spare time, so at say 15 quid per month it was cheaper to buy the game outright.

It's a cool idea though and it definitely worked well, plus saves you having to shell out on new hardware as any old crap system will run it (within reason I assume) - curious to see how much they'll charge for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Blackgator

Haven't tried onlive. Just installed LiquidSky for android and it looks okay. You get the option to use Steam Big Picture mode or view a windows desktop. Haven't tried gaming yet as my internet is terrible ATM.

Just reading up on it there, not the same guys and seems like they might have learned a lot of lessons from onlive's failings - http://venturebeat.com/2016/08/17/liquidsky-aims-to-revive-cloud-gaming-with-modernized-service/

Even better they say there's a pay as you go option, that'd suit me as I tend to only play now and again - monthly plan would be a waste.

Cheers for the heads-up, I hadn't heard anything about it before now, will be keeping an eye on this, might try it out this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Here-comes-the-Banhammer.jpg

Naughty OP.

That hammer swinging towards me or blackgator? Just re-read my own post and I look like I'm shilling for em, just to state Im not, just looks like something that'd suit me cause I don't game much so wouldn't be bothered investing in hardware but do like the odd game now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Onlive had all its patents bought up by Sony after the went out of business, and before this they bought gaikai so they've potentially got a monopoly in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I tried it tonight. It was a bit finicky setting up my controller but when I got it working, it ran well.

I installed 2 small games - Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (a game that never really ran well on my PC) and Enter the Gungeon (to test responsiveness in bullet hell).

LCATTOO ran but stayed on a black screen (I could hear the music in the background). I tried playing about with graphic settings from the game launcher but nothing helped.

Enter the Gungeon ran well, no issues at all.

I need to play something that will push it, so I'll try Doom 2016 tomorrow night before my trial ends.

Mad to try it out but I'm in the middle of moving house so going to be the weekend at earliest. How did you find latency with the one you did get working Mr E? and what's your broadband like?

It gives you the speed/latency on the desktop, but I can't remember the exact values. I'll let you know later. The server I was connecting to was in London.

I have fibre, but I'm on the edge of an exchange area so my speed is about 16 Mbps (about 2.1mb download speed)

Looks like I won't be trying Doom tonight. I just deleted my Sky Computer. Might try it again in a few months.

0LzxlXs.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So I am still trying to understand this.

You have virtual computer somewhere with good spec, but you still use your own steam account for it etc?
    Depending on plan, you get amount of storage on it and then use skycredits which looks like 1credit - 1 hour - 50cent.

What are the specs of actual computer then?

I don't know... I don't like it. Its like some sort off Internet Cafe stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So I am still trying to understand this.

You have virtual computer somewhere with good spec, but you still use your own steam account for it etc?
    Depending on plan, you get amount of storage on it and then use skycredits which looks like 1credit - 1 hour - 50cent.

What are the specs of actual computer then?

You rent a gaming PC and then stream it to whatever device you have in your hand, is the idea I think.

I do wonder what the spec is like, and what FPS they stream at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

yeah i don't like the idea of it either probably wont last

at least with onlive you go all the games also

Advertisement