Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedroom fireplace

Options
  • 30-08-2016 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I'm assuming this is the original fireplace (house is c. 1895). Had thought the material of the surround and mantelpiece was iron but it makes more wooden sound when rapped. Given the mantelpiece looks moulded in confused: any idea of the material? Originally would it have been unpainted or painted ornately?

http://i.imgur.com/XfFjdRs.jpg

Thanks

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Looks like a cast iron fireplace and mantlepiece to me. If it's iron it would have been unpainted and polished with Zebrite or a similar product.

cast-iron-bedroom-style-fireplace-bfp03.png

Above is how a similar fireplace would have looked when new.

Paint tends to lose all the original detail but polished metal can be a pain to keep clean and it's a dirty old job. A maid would have been employed to deal with such tasks - definitely not a job for the lady of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Thanks; yes, I assumed iron but didn't sound like it when ringing.

Paint is obviously less authentic but bare iron does seem like more hassle....

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭zimmermania

The fireplace is cast iron inc the mantlepiece.It cleans up very well when sand blasted or when stripped.

Advertisement