Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Trip Advisor

Options
  • 30-08-2016 8:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

I was just having a look at Waterford's TripAdvisor and I have to say it is shockingly bad.

There is so much missing from it and this really lowers the appeal of the city for any visitors who are contemplating making a visit.

Anything within 30 minutes of the city should be on the City's TripAdvisor page without question. Every building of architectural significance should be on here, every beach from Passage to Bunmahon, literally anything that a tourist might have any interest in visiting should be on this.

I did try and add a number of things a while ago but it got complicated because you need to be the 'owner' of the amenity. Is this up to the council? If so then why is it so poor?

Edit: The main reason why I was checking it again was to see if Waterford Walls was on it. Surely this is worth an addition?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭dzilla

O Riain wrote: »
    I was just having a look at Waterford's TripAdvisor and I have to say it is shockingly bad.

There is so much missing from it and this really lowers the appeal of the city for any visitors who are contemplating making a visit.

Anything within 30 minutes of the city should be on the City's TripAdvisor page without question. Every building of architectural significance should be on here, every beach from Passage to Bunmahon, literally anything that a tourist might have any interest in visiting should be on this.

I did try and add a number of things a while ago but it got complicated because you need to be the 'owner' of the amenity. Is this up to the council? If so then why is it so poor?

Edit: The main reason why I was checking it again was to see if Waterford Walls was on it. Surely this is worth an addition?

Is tripdvisor community updated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

dzilla wrote: »

Is tripdvisor community updated?

Anyone can add a review but when I tried to add an actual attraction I couldn't do so because I wasn't the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Anyone can add a review but when I tried to add an actual attraction I couldn't do so because I wasn't the owner.

Yeah I encountered similar difficulties before trying to add a review for kyoto restaurant just after it was opened. Frustrating system if you can't add attractions or restaurants, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have been on TA for many years, though I now post less than I did. I used to be the Waterford 'Expert' but I opted out because of the dismally bad administration (all behind the scenes stuff) that was going on. I still post for Waterford specific questions when I can, and a couple of other people do too. I have been fighting a one person battle against people saying 'I wouldn't bother with Waterford' when tourists have included it in an itinerary, to the extent that that blatant discouragement has died away somewhat. All the 'Waterford Crystal has closed' stuff has also been an ongoing fight and I have recommended the museums and walks numerous times.

If you want to support Waterford become a poster and offer suggestions of how to include Waterford in an itinerary. I often suggest parts of west Waterford, and suggest a route that takes in Waterford on to Wexford or vice versa.

The reviews are in many ways less important than the forums as there is a fair bit of inappropriate (shilling) posting goes on and people are less inclined to take them seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭JMT2016

You know what - I think it is actually really good.

Look at the top 10 things to do.
    1. Waterford Crystal
    2. Medieval Museum
    3. Mount Congreve
    4. Bishops Palace
    5. Reginalds Tower
    6. Viking Triangle
    7. Comeragh Drive
    8. ChristChurch
    9. Waterford Cathedral
    10. Waterford Greenway

What's really scary is that the 6 in bold didn't exist as proper tourist attractions 5-10 years ago!!!

In fairness the council (in particular) have really upped waterford's reputation as a tourist destination and as the greenway makes it way up the list you will see waterford back on the tourist map again for the first time in years.

• Advertisement

JMT2016 wrote: »

You know what - I think it is actually really good.

Look at the top 10 things to do.
    1. Waterford Crystal
    2. Medieval Museum
    3. Mount Congreve
    4. Bishops Palace
    5. Reginalds Tower
    6. Viking Triangle
    7. Comeragh Drive
    8. ChristChurch
    9. Waterford Cathedral
    10. Waterford Greenway

What's really scary is that the 6 in bold didn't exist as proper tourist attractions 5-10 years ago!!!

In fairness the council (in particular) have really upped waterford's reputation as a tourist destination and as the greenway makes it way up the list you will see waterford back on the tourist map again for the first time in years.

Compare it to Galway's one and come back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I think we compare well TBH, obviously the wild Atlantic way is a big attraction for the west but hopefully ancient east will start making up.
    Galway to be fair has a lovely and lively centre, thanks in later part to investment and higher disposable incomes combined with it being a traditional tourist spot in the same vain as killarney.but there is not an overabundance of actual things to do in Galway city beyond walking around nice city centre and good selection of pubs, restaurants being its best attractions and a lively arts scene(obviously significant factors)we have better museums IMO opinion but we could step up or support for some of our city centre pubs and restaurants in my opinion which would help ourselves.we offer a good arts scene too, again, could be supported a bit better if people expanded their horizons a bit.I reckon every city in Ireland would kill to have Waterford Crystal and our museums to offer.our city has become much more attractive due to works around VT and quays and is continuing to make massive leaps with future works around Apple market,friary etc.if we can improve retail offering and general economy too, leading to more people in city centre,could be the game changers we so often hear about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

As a recent tourist to Waterford I was impressed with the city. I think it it's better than Galway "city" in many ways. In addition It's got its Salthill in Tramore and it's Connemara in the Copper Coast.

For me Galway is the gateway to Connemara, and Connemara is one of my favourite places. I'm not comparing that.

But Waterford city itself is a great location. In my opinion. I don't use trip advisor much, but in general we didn't have a problem finding out info about attractions in Waterford on the web, the whole historic area is really well done, as is the predestrian areas in general.

I've been to Galway a lot and I actually can't think of what the major attractions are. Always struck me as a city that's not really got its act together.

beauf wrote: »
    I've been to Galway a lot and I actually can't think of what the major attractions are. Always struck me as a city that's not really got its act together.

So if it has no major attractions then tell me why has it got way more activities on TripAdvisor than Waterford? The most of which are in Galway City?

If Galway have a stone on the ground then it's on TripAdvisor. Every one of our towers should be a separate attraction, each of the abbey ruins should be an attraction, Waterford Walls should be an attraction. It gives the feel that there is plenty to do. Galway's page looks like it has more to do even though it actually has less to do in it's city than ours so that gives you an idea.

• Advertisement

So Galway's Top 10 things to do are
    1. Connemara National Park
    2. Wild Atlantic Way
    3. Quay Street
    4. Salthill Prominade
    5. Latin Quarter
    6. Cathedral
    7. Galway Bay
    8. Sightseeing Tours
    9. St. Nicholas' Church
    10. Day trips

Now I like Galway, but what's so amazing here in comparison?

We have two churches in our top 10 - so do they. They have galway bay we have river suir.

Their number #1 is 30 miles away from the city. Latin Quarter & Shop Street are practically the same place and can you tell me the difference between "Sightseeing Tours" and "Day trips"?

Out of interest, county waterford's top dozen attractions are
    1. Waterford Crystal
    2. Medieval Museum
    3. Mount Congreve
    4. Bishop's Palace
    5. Reginald's Tower
    6. Mayfield Birds of Prey (This is interesting!)
    7. Tramore Beach
    8. Viking Triangle
    9. Clonea Beach
    10. Lismore Castle & Gardens
    11. Mahon Falls
    12. St. Declan's Ardmore

Much isn't missing here from the Waterford one - the copper coast drive is #28, Greenway #20, Curraghmore #24 etc....

and county galway's top dozen attractions are
    2. Wild Atlantic Way
    3. Sky Road Clifton
    4. Dun Aonghasa
    5. Quay Street
    6. Kylemore Abbey
    7. Salthill Promenade
    8. Latin Quarter
    9. Cathedral
    10. Sky Road Loop
    11. Galway Bay
    12. Sightseeing Tours

I think Tripadvisor for us is quite reasonable in comparison.

It's obvious Waterford has a lot of major tourist attractions and amenities'.

Don't need to compare it with anything.

Just need to promote it better.

While the beach at Clonea is a nice beach the amenities there are disappointing for a blue flag beach.

Really needs to be better managed, funded. True of a lot of Irish beaches I suppose.

JMT2016 wrote: »
    Out of interest, county waterford's top dozen attractions are
    1. Waterford Crystal
    2. Medieval Museum
    3. Mount Congreve
    4. Bishop's Palace
    5. Reginald's Tower
    6. Mayfield Birds of Prey (This is interesting!)
    7. Tramore Beach
    8. Viking Triangle
    9. Clonea Beach
    10. Lismore Castle & Gardens
    11. Mahon Falls
    12. St. Declan's Ardmore

Much isn't missing here from the Waterford one - the copper coast drive is #28, Greenway #20, Curraghmore #24 etc....

and county galway's top dozen attractions are
    2. Wild Atlantic Way
    3. Sky Road Clifton
    4. Dun Aonghasa
    5. Quay Street
    6. Kylemore Abbey
    7. Salthill Promenade
    8. Latin Quarter
    9. Cathedral
    10. Sky Road Loop
    11. Galway Bay
    12. Sightseeing Tours

I think Tripadvisor for us is quite reasonable in comparison.

Everyone is missing the point here.

On Galway's page there is 131 attractions.
    On Waterford's there is 49.

Do people not see what I am getting at here? For a city with more to see, there seems to be less to do, almost 3 times less!

True.

Perhaps you need to apply pressure to the council or the attractions themselves to get themselves on TA.

Is it up to the council? I suppose who else?

Perhaps they need to make sure their efforts are reflected on TA and other travel sites.

They might be aware of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Waterford Blaa

it looks like some attractions are not coming up listed as being in Waterford - for eg:
    Lafcadio Japanese Gardens is one of 14 listed for Tramore

So if you do a search on Tripadvisor for things to do in Waterford, it doesn't appear in the listing. It only comes up if you do a search for 'County Waterford'.

it looks like some attractions are not coming up listed as being in Waterford - for eg:
    Lafcadio Japanese Gardens is one of 14 listed for Tramore

So if you do a search on Tripadvisor for things to do in Waterford, it doesn't appear in the listing. It only comes up if you do a search for 'County Waterford'.

Exactly and it needs to be sorted, Galway have stuff listed that is very far away. Gives more appeal to the place, we should have the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Probably it would be a good idea to contact Trip Advisor about it, they are not likely to see suggestions or complaints on here!

Advertisement