Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer to a different college

Options
  • 29-08-2016 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am a final year student in ITC , I have college until Xmas and then I'm on placement. I am doing my placement back home in Offaly. I am struggling to find someone who is commuting from edenderry in Offaly to Carlow so now I am left with the option of transferring to a closer college. Do you know if i could transfer from 3rd year social care in ITC to 3rd year social care in AIT. And what way wil it affect if I have applied for a grant ? Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

My advice would be to get in touch with the admissions department of both ITC tomorrow (and depending on what they say, AIT's admissions soon after) and seek their advice on a transfer request, and you will need to contact SUSI or your local authority (depending on how you got the grand) about this fact. Once you know for certain you can transfer, then get everything in order ASAP :)

I would reckon it'll be okay to transfer directly to their 3rd year, or possibly 4th, depending on the modules their Social Care Practice degree has in common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Hunstong wrote: »
    I am a final year student in ITC , I have college until Xmas and then I'm on placement. I am doing my placement back home in Offaly. I am struggling to find someone who is commuting from edenderry in Offaly to Carlow so now I am left with the option of transferring to a closer college. Do you know if i could transfer from 3rd year social care in ITC to 3rd year social care in AIT. And what way wil it affect if I have applied for a grant ? Thanks in advance for your help

Might be a way around this; I know a number of students in your situation going to the IT, some coming from "Out Foreign/Over There/Not from Here" etc. & some, like you, from within Ireland.

For all those "only" attending lectures this term (September-December) there will be those out on placement currently who will be in reverse situation come beginning of January.

So a number of options;

Contact your (Student) Union & ask them to put out Status Updates/Tweets to see can you & someone in reverse situation touch base with each other & come to an arrangement that'd suit both ye & landlord.?

They must be aware of this issue; it can hardly be a new thing for this year can it?

Has/n't it happened in previous years & if so what have the union done to help similarly disadvantaged students?

If this is a 1st then the importance of your union is of the essence in communicating with relevant departments about planning for the future

LLs're not happy with current situation; I was talking to one who's refused a number of 1st Term Only students on that/this basis that they'll be left with a vacant room/property from 3rd Week in December til possibly 1st or 2nd Week in September 2017!

(I did point out mind that he may be totally stuck & he's taking a gamble on someone attending for full academic year seeking to rent his room/property.

The Clarence Rooms may be an option; they're new to the game & Liz (sp?) Walsh/e (LPM on Castle St. opp. Weeping Thaiger; look her/them up on Daft; both agent & property is listed there on it) is handling lettings.

It's the former Ritz Hotel/Living Room opp. Dinn Rí at junction of Tullow St./Charlotte St.

There is a contact number displayed at the property for anyone interested but I can't post it here; not sure if it's connected with LPM or not; PM me & I'll give it to you.

This group, which you can join is being run by one of the Union Officers & it's well worth posting in it to see can you match up with something coming back off placement in January after you finish up in December; it seems to cover both the IT & St.Pats/Carlow College who also have courses where placements are modules so with 7.7k Students in the IT & about 700 in Pats you might just get lucky regarding an accommodation swap-search >

https://www.facebook.com/groups/604884966328376/660425847440954/?notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1472907813680139

Also speaking of Carlow College, they take in IT Carlow Students (in my day you got your breakfast & dinner incl. in the rent but that was in late 90s when the IT was an RTC; it's been renovated over past number of years and got all new windows fitted this Summer; would stay there myself given half-chance; there's common room on ground floor, kitchen etc. in the accommodation; not 100% if that's only on one floor but I digress.....) & they have a partnership with Carlow University (I think?) where some students only come for 2-3 Months at a time so this might be the answer for you?

Advertisement