Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dynamo and regulator

Options
  • 29-08-2016 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Not a classic car but classic tractor (mf135).

It's not charging the battery so checked the dynamo and regulator.

The dynamo is generating up to 20v on high revs. The dynamo is wired to the F and A terminals of the regulator. There are two other connectors on the regulator, earth and battery.

This is a brand new regulator but the output (Brian terminal) when unconnected is 0volts. When connected to the battery, it measures 12v (probably just the battery voltate).

All the wires seem correct and the dynamo working fine so no idea what the problem is. I'd suspect the regulator but it is brand new.

Since this setup is similar to.many classic cars, had anyone any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

The dynamo should be using F and D on the regulator, A and E for batt +/-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

type85 wrote: »
    The dynamo should be using F and D on the regulator, A and E for batt +/-

Ah really? Hopefully that's where I was going wrong.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

You'll have to set the regulated voltage, is the reg single or double bobbin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

type85 wrote: »
    You'll have to set the regulated voltage, is the reg single or double bobbin?

I think it's a double bobbin (I. E. Two internal electromagnet?). I would have assumed very little adjustment would have been required? Surely it should output 14v (or thereabouts) put of the box?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I think it's a double bobbin (I. E. Two internal electromagnet?). I would have assumed very little adjustment would have been required? Surely it should output 14v (or thereabouts) put of the box?

One bobbin is the cutout which prevents the battery discharging back through the dynamo when the engine is idling or stopped. The other bobbin is the voltage regulator. I wouldn't touch either of these, as you say they're set already. Once you wire it in correctly it should be fine.

Advertisement