Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Limerick

Options
  • 29-08-2016 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey so i'm from Limerick county (Croom) and am trying to move to the city for work. Obviously the rental market is a trash fire, again, right now so i'm not having much luck. Just wondered if anyone was in a similar boat and wanted to team up to rent and find a place? Or if anyone has any leads on flat shares then i'd be more than interested also.

Thanks, sorry if this is spammy but i'm getting desperate.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

What's your budget?

The city centre rental market is gone crazy in the last few months, possibly because of the likes of Uber expanding their operations. Historically, many people weren't attracted to living in the centre and rents were low accordingly, but that seems to have changed in the last year. A lot of places are changing hands without being advertised on daft, so I recommend you just keep asking around. Call into the property management companies in the centre and see what they have on offer as well. Kersten Mehl (KMPM) might be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bconmy

zulutango wrote: »
    What's your budget?

The city centre rental market is gone crazy in the last few months, possibly because of the likes of Uber expanding their operations. Historically, many people weren't attracted to living in the centre and rents were low accordingly, but that seems to have changed in the last year. A lot of places are changing hands without being advertised on daft, so I recommend you just keep asking around. Call into the property management companies in the centre and see what they have on offer as well. Kersten Mehl (KMPM) might be a good start.

Yeah the only thing I haven't tried thus far is going into the agents themselves. Budget is probably 450 a month, budget isn't really the problem as stuff is just gone before I even get to call someone about it. Had 6 different viewings cancel on me in the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

If you go on daft.ie desktop site, and hover over sharing, when the drop down appears, you'll see team up.

Might be worth putting a post there, could help, although I'm not sure how many use the feature.

moleyv wrote: »
    If you go on daft.ie desktop site, and hover over sharing, when the drop down appears, you'll see team up.

Might be worth putting a post there, could help, although I'm not sure how many use the feature.

I did and got no interest, mailed everyone who had posted on it and they weren't suitable (short term versus needing long term or needing different areas)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

bconmy wrote:
    I did and got no interest, mailed everyone who had posted on it and they weren't suitable (short term versus needing long term or needing different areas)

Another option, which is cash dependent if you can afford it. Is to take a 2 or 3 bed yourself with the aim of taking in one or two more people. Obviously there is a bit of risk involved money wise, but as you can see, you probably wouldn't be long filling the spaces. You would also need to check with your landlord if that would be alright.

I know in Dublin a good chunk of shares don't get as far as being advertised as friends of friends etc fill the space by posting on social media. May be the same for Limerick.

• Advertisement

moleyv wrote: »
    Another option, which is cash dependent if you can afford it. Is to take a 2 or 3 bed yourself with the aim of taking in one or two more people. Obviously there is a bit of risk involved money wise, but as you can see, you probably wouldn't be long filling the spaces. You would also need to check with your landlord if that would be alright.

I know in Dublin a good chunk of shares don't get as far as being advertised as friends of friends etc fill the space by posting on social media. May be the same for Limerick.

Tried that already, most agents won't let you sublet. Why would they I guess, there's enough demand to just get groups who can all go on the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

bconmy wrote: »
    Yeah the only thing I haven't tried thus far is going into the agents themselves. Budget is probably 450 a month, budget isn't really the problem as stuff is just gone before I even get to call someone about it. Had 6 different viewings cancel on me in the past few weeks.

450 for your own place, or for a room in a shared apartment/house? Ordinarily 450 euro would get you a very nice place if you were sharing. But there's precious few such places around.

zulutango wrote: »
    450 for your own place, or for a room in a shared apartment/house? Ordinarily 450 euro would get you a very nice place if you were sharing. But there's precious few such places around.

if I could find someone to try and rent a place with then 450 each or 450 for a room in a share. Either way. Just need a place. Prices aren't crazy yet, there's just no availability at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

Croom is only 15-20 mins outside the city with motorway the whole way. Not a bad place to be already if you drive.

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    Croom is only 15-20 mins outside the city with motorway the whole way. Not a bad place to be already if you drive.

I don't drive, can't afford a car and to insure it right now. I've exhausted all the obvious options, really posted to try and find someone to rent with or see if some kind heart had a lead on a place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

I don't drive, can't afford a car and to insure it right now. I've exhausted all the obvious options, really posted to try and find someone to rent with or see if some kind heart had a lead on a place.

I know it's not very helpful for what you're looking for, but you could get a pretty savage car for 450 a month :D
    Always an option if you're finding it too difficult to find a room in town.

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    I know it's not very helpful for what you're looking for, but you could get a pretty savage car 450 a month :D

Yeah no I couldn't afford to buy and insure a car without spending two months paycheques on it and just no. I don't wanna live at home anymore, only option is moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Would the bus help? Timetable

I live outside croom and have no interest in staying there so no, bus timetable won't help. I'm trying to move, not seeking advice on how to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

I live outside croom and have no interest in staying there so no, bus timetable won't help. I'm trying to move, not seeking advice on how to stay at home.

Yet the rental market would say different.

Advertisement