Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New i5 build for Work and Gaming when the chance occurs

Options
  • 29-08-2016 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here the past little while as I spec up my new build.

First my requirements:

1. What is your budget? €1800-€2000 - not set in stone

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? CAD with limited 3D, Structural Analysis*, regular PDF manipulation (combining etc.) and file compression (usually with 7zip). Gaming when I get a chance but my games are quite out of date these days - fingers crossed for some time for new ones

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Windows 10 Pro - OEM fine if cheaper

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No, upgrading from E6600 so nothing can transfer apart from a hard drive or two which have photos, music, etc. on them.

5. Do you need a monitor? Not at the moment - current running dual 22inch (1680x1050) monitors. Would like to upgrade in future but not necessary or within budget at the moment.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. n/a

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] See above

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Need a new keyboard, mouse and speakers are good. Currently have Logitech G15 keyboard and after 10 years it's beginning to throw wobblers. I need a few programmable buttons on the left and definitely need the full number block on the right. There is 18 programmable keys on the G15 - I don't need anywhere near this number. 6ish would be fine.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes - in my spare time but I need the machine to run fairly well out of the box(es)

8. How can you pay? Most methods but I need VAT receipts.

9. When are you purchasing? Within the week hopefully.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Confident I can do it myself - have done a few before.

Notes
    1. *The structural analysis programme has some aspects that push my E6600 processor beyond it's limits. I cannot tell if they would benefit from hyper-threading or not - realistically it may only take up about 5-10% of my time so although I'd love to see the progress bar fly across with an overclocked 6700K I'm not sure I can justify the expense.

2.I need at least two LAN ports and Wifi hence my mainboard choice was limited but I'm pretty happy with it at any rate.

3.My current case has a door on the front and it looks great when closed but it annoys me having to open it for the optical drive so doors are out. Also full scale towers are two big for under the desk - so they're out. And I need the connections and power buttons at the top ... and I want a window. -> As you can imagine it was a nightmare picking the best case. Would have loved more USB ports but couldn't find a case to fit the bill that had more.

This is the spec I came up with:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£210.00 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£83.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-DELUXE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£256.76 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£158.54 @ More Computers)
    Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£160.05 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card (£402.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case (£129.95 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£176.01 @ BT Shop)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£14.99 @ Novatech)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
    Total: £1593.28
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-29 15:34 BST+0100

All thoughts and comments welcomed.

Edit: Hoping to put in these case lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H34FPZG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Comments

Advertisement