Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are tuition fees free

Options
  • 29-08-2016 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Looking for someone to clarify my position re tuition fees and if they are free or not.
    Youngest goes to college next summer and am looking into what costs/grants might be.
    Rang the susi office but they could not give a definite answer.
    I looked at the eligibity section on susi and it says with our income that we will be entitled to 50% tuition fees and 100% student contribution.
    So I take that if our child does a 4 yr undergraduate course in science. That she will get the €3000 student contribution paid but will have to pay 50% of the tuition fees.
    But when I look at Student Finance.ie there is something about Free fees initiative and she meets the criteria for that I believe.
    So with that in mind will she have to pay any tuition fees.
    Or am I missing something here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Think I have it sorted folks.
    Looking at SUSI section on reckonable income, I should not have been including my pension contributions.
    So looks like our total reckonable income will be just under the band for where she should be entitled to

25% rate of maintenance
    + Field trip element
    +100% tuition fees or
    100% student contribution.

Don't envisage any pay rises coming our way so at least that's one less worry for next year. Unless they change the thresholds between now and then

Advertisement