Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I know what I want but can't find it - Android phone advice requested

Options
  • 29-08-2016 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

I am really confused by my own research, can't seem to find a phone that would suit my needs completely, hope to get some help here, .. Maybe I'm expecting too much for my budget, but most of what I want I would consider fairly basic.

This is what I am looking for in order of importance

1. Solid build with proper gorilla glass or equal (my Moto G has had a lot of abuse and has no screen damage whatsoever). Gell cases or similar being available
    2. Good phone call quality and strong antenna
    3. Good battery , doesn't need to last days, but should see me out at least one day ( 18 hours) with intense usage ( I mean for calls, messaging, browsing etc.. no gaming or excessive youtube here)
    4. Near enough stock Android and no standard features disabled - Multi user is a must have
    5. Dual sim (hybrid sim ok if storage is 32Gb)
    6. Snappy and future ( 1-1.5 year) proof- 3GB RAM preferred
    7. Some sort of LED notification light. Coloured ideal but not a must
    8. Ideally on screen buttons, however capacitive buttons ok as long as they are back-lit.
    9. Finger print scanner that unlocks the phone by simply using the scanner, not looking for 100% accuracy, but should be ok to operate
    10. GPS needs to be working and needs to work with google maps navigation.
    11. At most 5.5" but not wider than 75 mm. Not heavier than 175 g.

Camera - don't really care too much, as long as it is not too bad, will use a real camera for holidays etc
    Screen resolution, don't care as long as it is clear. Need reading glasses anyway, so won't notice difference
    Charger: Normal charger is fine, have plenty of them, USB - C - I guess can live with that as well. Fast charging - To be honest all my phones seem to have been "fast charging" (50% in 30 mins), so I think this is overhyped
    NFC - Living in rural Ireland , can't see this taking off anytime soon.
    Frequencies: I am on Vodafone so would be nice to have 4G, but is a compromise I am willing to live with if at least I can get 3G
    Wifi : Once I am finished with my network project at home I should have strong coverage throughout the house, outside house I can live with 3G/4G, so if the wifi receiver isn't that great on weak signals, that is OK.

Price should not exceed €250. "China phones" are very OK as long as independent reviews can confirm my requirements and I can get them from amazon (marketplace included).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Quite a lot to fit in for 250. If you could do without the fingerprint scanner, maybe whatever the latest Vodafone branded one is.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Quite a lot to fit in for 250. If you could do without the fingerprint scanner, maybe whatever the latest Vodafone branded one is.

Thanks , not sure if it's too much to ask for , but maybe that is the answer to why I couldn't find anything indeed..

Didn't look into the VF phones as I assume they won't be dual SIM ? I travel a bit and like to pop in local SIM cards for data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

one plus 2 would fit the bill or the oneplus 3 for €399

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Thanks- Will have a look at those as well but may be slightly over my set budget.. In the mean time I got confirmation that Zuk Z1 would fit almost all boxes, so let's see what bargain I can find..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Oneplus Two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Ulefone Power ticks most of the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Good battery and Dual Sim AND Thin/Light is a bit of push. Its one of those have 3 pick 2 cases.

Advertisement