Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to have my PC on a TV wirelessly

Options
  • 29-08-2016 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I have my PC in my living room but it is a bit far away from my TV to connect a HDMI. Even with a long HDMI I may experience bad input lag.

Android TV Box, Doko box and something with Miracast is what I have heard of so far. It will be mainly used for 1080p gaming and I would like to cut down on any stutter or input lag if possible.

What is my best option here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Steam Link may work if you use steam for games?
    https://www.gamestop.ie/PC/Games/53260/steam-link
    €38.50

(haven't used it, but sounds ilke what you miy need from what I've read.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

DarraghR wrote: »
    What is my best option here?

move the computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Unless it's a monstrously huge room and the PC is literally a 30 second walk away, a hdmi cable a few meters long is not going to have input lag like what you're worrying about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the delay in any of the options you mentioned will be much much worse than the delay you see in a HDMI cable, presuming you are talking about replicating the desktop

even if not, the delay in a 10m hdmi cable over a 1 or 2m is so small a human could not see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Moving the desktop is not an option. I would need a 10 meter HDMI. Should I go for a certain brand/type if I go with this option? Input lag on my TV with a 1m HDMI is bad enough

• Advertisement

Shlippery wrote: »
    Steam Link may work if you use steam for games?
    https://www.gamestop.ie/PC/Games/53260/steam-link
    €38.50

(haven't used it, but sounds ilke what you miy need from what I've read.)

Thats pretty cool. I wonder does it have controller inputs

the input lag you are talking about is down to the video processing in the tv. it has nothing to do with the cable. to get that shorter, turn off all the video processing on the input you are using for your pc, or else enable game mode, which does the same thing.

long cables, the amazon own brand ones have proven pretty robust from what i have seen, but i've not tried a 10m version, i'd expect it to work. probably a safer bet than a dirt cheap version from china on ebay anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Thats pretty cool. I wonder does it have controller inputs

From Steam product page:
    Supports Steam Controller (sold separately,) Xbox One or 360 Wired Controller, Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows, Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710, or keyboard and mouse

You'd want to connect it to your network with an ethernet cable, or via HomePlugs.

Game mode makes none or little difference. I think its just my TV which was quite expensive at the time :/ I dont really want to turn many settings off in my games but which ones would make the biggest difference?

Ok cool. I work in a electronics shop so might be able to get one cheaper. The brand is Ednet

Game mode makes none or little difference. I think its just my TV which was quite expensive at the time :/ I dont really want to turn many settings off in my games but which ones would make the biggest difference?

Ok cool. I work in a electronics shop so might be able to get one cheaper. The brand is Ednet

if it is your tv, and game mode makes no difference, you will see the same lag with any of the devices you mentioned above, they all go through the same video processing in the TV.

it has nothing to do with the settings in your games. it's things like scaling, NR, and other processing modes in your tv you need to turn off. Game mode usually does this though so it may just be that your tv isn't much good for gaming

• Advertisement

I do have two HDMI cables that would make up that length but would a splitter affect the quality?

Ah ok well there are some filters and other settings I can mess around with to see if that makes any difference. Thanks for the advice

I do have two HDMI cables that would make up that length but would a splitter affect the quality?

Ah ok well there are some filters and other settings I can mess around with to see if that makes any difference. Thanks for the advice

A powered splitter should be ok; we use them for fighting game tournaments.

powered splitter would be fine, don't use the ones that power off the cable. the 5v line on the hdmi cable is a hot plug signal to allow the tv to know a cable has been plugged in, it wasn't designed to power anything

Ended up getting a 10m HDMI for 25 euro. So what should I disable on my TV for less input lag? Still not great with Game Mode enabled. Also where can I check my overall input lag in ms?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jo Satan

Here is a method for estimating input lag.
    You would need a monitor with a known input lag and a timer with milliseconds.
    You output the image of the timer to the monitor and your tv simultaneously.
    Then you use a camera or video camera to record an image of both screens in the one shot.
    Its not definitively precise, but will give you an idea.

There is a link to a timer here... http://tft.vanity.dk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If your TV has a poor response time there's not really anything you can do about that. What model is the TV?

Ended up getting a 10m HDMI for 25 euro. So what should I disable on my TV for less input lag? Still not great with Game Mode enabled. Also where can I check my overall input lag in ms?

game mode is likely as good as it gets, but that's going to be the same for anything you hook up via hdmi

Sound one I will give that test a try.

My TV is a Samsung 40" Series 8
    Model: UE40B8000XW

For some reason HDMI port 1 quality looks worse compared to 2,3 and 4. Also in 1 I cannot select game mode but the input lag seems better ...

I have read that once you go over 30" then input lag can be quite high so that may be the main reason for the volume of lag I have

what you read was bull$hit of the highest order.

• Advertisement
Advertisement