Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logitech Harmony remotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

Have an ultimate myself best gadget I own as it's used every day and never gives trouble.

Well worth the price imo

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

sioda wrote: »
    Have an ultimate myself best gadget I own as it's used every day and never gives trouble.

Well worth the price imo

*2 - Savage yokes, couldn't handle more than one remote now :P, been using them for years. The control inside closed cabinets is the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

fierce expensive, is their not an aliexpress alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

How well do these work with Sky?

I use a magic eye purely to control the Sky box (in attic) and it can be a bit flimsy. Have a HDMI cable from sky box to the TV so if I could get rid of the eye, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

would these work on a PS4 or do you need a bluetooth version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Both remotes should work with just about anything controlled by IR or Bluetooth. You do need bluetooth capable remote to control the PS4. Sky is just IR so nearly any cheap universal remote would work for that.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

These things are the bomb. Once you get one, you'll never be without one :) My 7 yr old one is on its last legs (volume controls never quite recovered from a wine related incident) and I've order the Ultimate from this deal. The key to these remotes is the huge database of remote codes that logitech/harmony have build up over the years so a cheap alternative isn't going to happen unfortunately.

I've been using these for years also.
    have had 2 harmony 885s (both still going,one is 10 years old)and currently have the touch in the main room.
    For the average setup (tv,AV reciever,upc box,IR lights ),
    the touch is more than adequate,they can be had for less than 100e.
    If you want home automation stuff (philips hue,nest etc etc) you want one of these bad boys.

Altho the software is 100 times better than what it was prepare for a long set up time with lots of fine tuning.

edit-
    UPC stock horizon works with some sort of crappy bluetooth ,but it also supports IR commands from a harmony

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Skerries wrote: »

If your TV supports HDMI-CEC this should work.

Don't ask me how or anything though. I just deal in hypotheticals :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Skerries wrote: »

Both linked above support connecting to Bluetooth devices.

However unfortunately Sony hasn't added full bluetooth control to the PS4, so the Harmony remotes have only limited control over the PS4.

The Harmony remotes can't turn on the PS4, instead you have turn on the PS4 either with a game pad or the playstation app (on iphone and android) first, then you can use the Harmony remote to control the PS4.

But even then control is limited, while you can navigate the main menu fine, each individual "app" has to add support for remotes and many don't meaning it can be difficult to control them with the remote.

You can get the Harmony remote to turn on the PS4 using HDMI-CEC, but I personally found that very flaky.

Weirdly the PS3 works perfectly with the PS3, so I mostly use that for Bluray and the PS4 only for gaming, when you would be using the controller anyway.

BTW I also have both of the linked remotes and I highly recommend them, despite the PS4 issues (which isn't Logitechs fault).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

Wow thanks, just ordered!

I know this remote is ridiculously expensive but a 54% reduction was too hard to resist :o

I was even thinking about getting a used Harmony 950 the other day and it was around £136 with the 20% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭rom

maximum12 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a remote for lower budgets ?

You might get a harmony one somewhere cheap. tbh these remotes listed are more home automation if you got more than IR devices that you want to use. Personally I love them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I've had the Harmony One now for ~6 years or so. The best gadget I've ever invested in... absolutely brilliant devices.

I'm kinda tempted to upgrade to one of these newer ones... I like that the red/green/blue buttons are actual buttons on those rather than having to use the touch screen. And the ability to control bluetooth devices and devices inside cabinets is a big plus...

Am I correct in saying the Elite is the better of the 2, even though it's actually cheaper there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, the Elite is the latest model and a steal at this price.

The Ultimate is more expensive at the moment, though sometimes it can be gotten for £99 in sales.

I've both the Elite and Ultimate and they are both very good and work very similarly, but the Elite is nicer (physical design is better) and a steal at this price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Deal is expired, back to £225

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Deal is expired, back to £225

Available at €179 on Amazon.es or .de

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

bk wrote: »
    Yes, the Elite is the latest model and a steal at this price.

The Ultimate is more expensive at the moment, though sometimes it can be gotten for £99 in sales.

I've both the Elite and Ultimate and they are both very good and work very similarly, but the Elite is nicer (physical design is better) and a steal at this price.

Balls, it went up in price again since!

Advertisement